3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Swap a 4.7L out for a 6.1L "hemi"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swap a 4.7L out for a 6.1L "hemi"

I saw a slightly used 6.1l engine for about 3.5k that comes with wiring, computer and tranny and thought man, that would be sweet if it was possible to swap it out.

I know this is more then likely possible but how practicle is it. What do you guys think?

Thanks fellas

Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
WhiteBerry
Veteran

that would be so sweet if u get that to work! good luck!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

I dont see why the motor wont physically drop in. The bottom line is, is that what you really want? Is the time and money involved worth it to you?

Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

That would be sweet. I've wanted to do that with either a more powerful 5.7 HEMI, or if I could find a good cheap 6.1 HEMI, then sell mine for a little money.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

Well, I want something unique.
If I was to add a programmer, headers, camshafts, lifters, springs and full exhaust, im @ 3k with give or take 260 H/P. A honda V6 puts out more power lol. This engine "4.7l" will not be able to put out power unless I add a turbo or supercharger to it. Then I would have to rebuild the whole engine to take the abuse of the added HP because i dont think the engine could take it.

Thats why I feel a 425 hp engine is more then enough. I am not a track guy whatsoever. I am more of an open road driver. I love to drive, just listening to the noise the engine makes and the feel of the road and car benefiting from the unique relationship they have together.

I have heard of people swapping out 4.7l's for the 5.7l hemi's. I just figured hey, why not see what would be involved and the price etc etc to maybe write down some notes and see the cost to benefit ratio.

I was going to purchase a 02-05 Maserati to claim that power hungry driven soulfull driver we all have inside of us but, I heard the clutches go out every 15-17k and thats an easy 7k to repair.

I am also pricing slightly used quad cab SRT-10's to fill that desire as well.

Looking for opinions is all; thats why I come to this great forum because the plethora of knowledge contained by the Dodge owners here is a real pleasure to listen to and learn from their different perspectives and ideas!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think if you have the time and the money. WHY NOT? You should do it if you want to, its your truck your time and your money. I think it wouldn't be a problem space wise either. Good Luck on the transfer

Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

If you plan upon dumping money into your truck either way, and you have the money available for dumping, I'd go with a 6.1L HEMI. A few ways to think of it.
1) How you said modding your 4.7. What happens in a few years when you want a little more power out of it? Well, if you're already tapped out as far as power goes, you won't be able to push anymore.
2) SRT-10. The retail of that would be more than your truck, and your truck sale alone won't pay for it. Now you pay for slightly more expensive fuel along with higher insurance. In short it might not add up to much, but in long it might add up to more than enough to do the 6.1, and mod it some.
3) Install the 6.1L HEMI. You will start out with quite a bit of power with no mods. After dumping some money in to mod it, you will have an even more powerful beast. Also, you can add some nice SRT8 badges onto your truck. The only thing will be you get two different catalogs for your vehicle if you get Summit or any of those ones.
You'll need a magazine for the Challenger or Charger the engine came from for those mods, and your truck mods.

But let us know whichever way you decide to go on your engine.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ried69
If you plan upon dumping money into your truck either way, and you have the money available for dumping, I'd go with a 6.1L HEMI. A few ways to think of it.
1) How you said modding your 4.7. What happens in a few years when you want a little more power out of it? Well, if you're already tapped out as far as power goes, you won't be able to push anymore.
2) SRT-10. The retail of that would be more than your truck, and your truck sale alone won't pay for it. Now you pay for slightly more expensive fuel along with higher insurance. In short it might not add up to much, but in long it might add up to more than enough to do the 6.1, and mod it some.
3) Install the 6.1L HEMI. You will start out with quite a bit of power with no mods. After dumping some money in to mod it, you will have an even more powerful beast. Also, you can add some nice SRT8 badges onto your truck. The only thing will be you get two different catalogs for your vehicle if you get Summit or any of those ones.
You'll need a magazine for the Challenger or Charger the engine came from for those mods, and your truck mods.

But let us know whichever way you decide to go on your engine.
Beautifully broke down. I cant disagree with the thought process. Id go for it if you have the time/money!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:53 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

DO IT. will be the first her on DF and we will all just be jealous. if i had the money/time i would rather make something unique and custom then just buy an already fast car/truck. if i had the srt-10 i woul dstill want more out of it. i would grab the 6.1 hmi do all internals and drop it in. you could get alot out of it.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:45 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Check your state laws first though, most wont have a problem as long as you put a newer engine than the one you have in it now and it is available for the newer models of your vehicle. Otherwise you wont pass emissions and you have to re-register it which can be a bitch and if your state has strict emission laws you may have a nice fine on your hands as well. Now it may not be like this where you are at but I know that's how the law works here. So if you can then go for it just be sure you check all the legal sides of it before hand. Good luck

Quick Reply: Swap a 4.7L out for a 6.1L "hemi"