3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 doesnt have jack on the hemi

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:18 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The moped I used twenty five years ago for my paper route was a race car compared to a Ford...
and probably ran better

Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Ben D.
Champion

I havn't played with an 09 hemi truck but with my rcsb and the stick shift i can edge out a hemi qcsb and a rcsb hemi i can keep up with. Either way i'd rather have the 4.7L and the stick shift. all the hemi owners will wish they did too when they get to 70k miles and they wonder wtf is going on with their transmission. 545rfe for the win haha. at least i can flog my g238 and go home feeling like this truck will last. can't say that with an autotragic

Old 01-12-2009, 02:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben D.
I havn't played with an 09 hemi truck but with my rcsb and the stick shift i can edge out a hemi qcsb and a rcsb hemi i can keep up with. Either way i'd rather have the 4.7L and the stick shift. all the hemi owners will wish they did too when they get to 70k miles and they wonder wtf is going on with their transmission. 545rfe for the win haha. at least i can flog my g238 and go home feeling like this truck will last. can't say that with an autotragic
Shoot, you want the REAL last forever combo, it's the pre-'08 2500s with the 5.9 CTD and a stick, now those summbiotches will be driven by the cockroaches that survive the nuclear end of the world, caused by Obama type deal...

Old 01-12-2009, 04:08 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bigbuckhunter
no complaints here with my 4.7. i guess if i had real deep pockets i could afford the gas for the hemi but for now my 4.7 does everything i need it to do. oh yeah and correct me if im wrong here but the "5.7 hemi" aka replacement for the 5.9 was built for hauling not really speed. hence the "dodge hemi will out haul any other truck" words in the original ads when the hemis first came out. since im only hauling a 12' utility trailer with a 4 wheeler on it im ok. some of you will disagree just my opinion (we all know about opinions) but any engine with less than 400hp in a 5050lbs truck isnt exactly a race car. most importantly i got lift and 35's and get in the 15mpg range. how much does the hemi get with lift and 35's?
the hemi i drove was getting 15.5 highway and 13.? city. thats the same if not better than my 4.7

Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

I average 15mpg not sure what i get hwy or city since my trip to work is usually a 50/50.
my friend with a stock hemi said he dont get better than 13.5 on average. I would have to say if your 4.7 sucks more gas than the hemi you might want to take it in and have it checked. I guess what im saying is mine is lifted and i get better mpg than my friends stock hemi.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:48 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I average 15mpg not sure what i get hwy or city since my trip to work is usually a 50/50.
my friend with a stock hemi said he dont get better than 13.5 on average. I would have to say if your 4.7 sucks more gas than the hemi you might want to take it in and have it checked. I guess what im saying is mine is lifted and i get better mpg than my friends stock hemi.
That's not saying much. Everyone has different driving habits and not everyone takes care of their vehicles. Now if you owned both trucks and made that comparison...then yea.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your friend's mpg is kind of low. I just did a trip to Harrisburg and back tonight, 100 miles each way and all highway. I averaged 19 mpg for the trip with my Hemi and was doing about 75 the whole time.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:54 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Alright I am first going to start off by saying that I have a ram 4.7 SBQC 4x4 and like it. The first thing about running that Ford with the 265hp is that it's power is similer to your 4.7, but has 3.55 gears and a 4 speed trans is where they lose a ton of get up and go whereas with our trucks if you have the tow package you have the 3.92's. That paired with the 5 speed trans we have destroys the F150's 5.4 and that is even the newer ones that have 300hp and 365tq. I drove my friends 06 QCSB 4x4 F150 with 35's and the 5.4 and to be honest I am very glad I bought my Ram instead of the F150. That thing was a freakin turtle. I punched it and it just had nothing compared to my stock truck with 33's on it and the 3.92 gears. I am sure if he re-geared he would smoke me, but still. However; He sold that truck and his lifted 02 F250 to buy the new 08 6.4 turbo diesel F250 Super Duty. Like I said I am not the biggest ford fan, but it is a very nice looking and running truck. All I can say is that the Powerstroke can really fly. I was impressed. I would rather have an 08 2500 CTD, but still those things can fly. 350hp + 650tq = one pissed off rice burner when I blew his doors off with a stock 2500 SBQC F250 4x4 that weighs 7000lbs. lol I really want to drive the 5.9 CTD modded with a bigger turbo, programmer, stacks, and an intercooler. I have seen those things put out 800+ hp at the wheels and 1600tq at the wheels. Imagine your 7000lbs QCSB 4x4 ram doing 0-60 in about 4 flat. lol

Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 PM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Your friend's mpg is kind of low. I just did a trip to Harrisburg and back tonight, 100 miles each way and all highway. I averaged 19 mpg for the trip with my Hemi and was doing about 75 the whole time.
dont forget teacher you have some great mods,my friends truck is stock. how did your hemi do before the mpg gainers? You quoted me saying on "average" he gets 13.5. and you just said you got 19mpg all hwy. dont get me wrong i like the hemi im not saying i dont, but I bought my truck for the fuel econ not the braun. compare how many miles a stock (non modified) 4.7 gets out of the petro tank and what the stock hemi gets. thats why im happy with my 4.7. i'm not out to prove anything to anyone. I surely wasnt about to buy a truck just to say "Yeah its got a hemi"

Last edited by bigbuckhunter; 01-12-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

dont forget teacher you have some great mods,his is stock. how did your hemi do before the mpg gainers? dont get me wrong i like the hemi im not saying i dont, but I bought my truck for the fuel econ not the braun. compare how many miles a stock (non modified) 4.7 gets out of the petro tank and what the stock hemi gets. thats why love my truck.
Just lie teacher...don't break the mans heart and tell him he gets worse mileage with 110 less hp .

Seriously though...this truck gets the best mpg of any truck i've owned. Bone stock I was getting high 24's on the highway going 65....high 16's in town. I dunno what I get since the tune and couple mods...it's in the same ballpark even with MDS disabled.

Also the hemi will get better mpg as load increases...like towing/hauling. More torque means less engine load required to maintain speed....means better mpg.

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 01-12-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.7 doesnt have jack on the hemi