3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 doesnt have jack on the hemi

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 doesnt have jack on the hemi

well as i said before in someones post, dont waste big money on a 4.7 engine. well i drove a hemi the other day, and mannnnn that thing hauls a$$ compared to my 4.7. I no longer even want to spent another dollar on my truck, it just seems like a total waste. i was thinking about a superchips mainly for mpg and a little extra kick, but now... i feel like a teenage kid with a civic or something

Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mdram43
well as i said before in someones post, dont waste big money on a 4.7 engine. well i drove a hemi the other day, and mannnnn that thing hauls a$$ compared to my 4.7. I no longer even want to spent another dollar on my truck, it just seems like a total waste. i was thinking about a superchips mainly for mpg and a little extra kick, but now... i feel like a teenage kid with a civic or something
I know that someone at my school has a 4.7 in a Dodge almost like mine but RC, and he thought that it hauled more than a Hemi. Which his truck sounds like he's hammering on it when he drives all the time.
But obviously the Hemi should have more power than the 4.7.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:56 PM
05Redram
Professional

Yes I love mine. Its so much faster and stronger than my dads 318.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:00 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

the hemi has alot more power than the 4.7l. if you have the hemi as your base its great but if youhave a 4.7l you can still squeeze out impressive power gains from it as well. my 4.7l with what ive done to it will keep up with my brother in laws stock hemi no problem. yes i had to spend some $$ to get it there but i got my 4.7 for a great deal at the time and couldnt pass it up and i didnt want the mds ( there was no programmerto delete mds at the time) . if you are to buy a new truck then by all means get the hemi. but dont lose hope on your 4.7. just give it a chance.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by nickahern1
the hemi has alot more power than the 4.7l. if you have the hemi as your base its great but if youhave a 4.7l you can still squeeze out impressive power gains from it as well. my 4.7l with what ive done to it will keep up with my brother in laws stock hemi no problem. yes i had to spend some $$ to get it there but i got my 4.7 for a great deal at the time and couldnt pass it up and i didnt want the mds ( there was no programmerto delete mds at the time) . if you are to buy a new truck then by all means get the hemi. but dont lose hope on your 4.7. just give it a chance.
I'd have to see that to believe it. Not trying to be an *** but you have a tuned and CAI pre-08 4.7 running on 20's...the flowmaster catback only flows slighty better than stock. That won't give you the 110bhp you'd need just to break even...the hemi puts down more then the 4.7 makes at the crank. IMO you'd need cams, headwork and headers along with your tune to keep up. If you have ran your in-laws hemi and kept up he needs to do a compression test among other things.

I do agree that the 4.7 has a lot of potential especially being OHC...I bet they love FI.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

hey hey hey i didnt say it would beat a hemi i said keep up big difference there. off the line his hemi pulls a little ahead but doesnt leave me in the dust. my truck is pulling a 0-60 in just under 8 seconds. while thats nothing to write home about its way different from stock which probably ran that in 8.50-8.75 if not slower.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I like my 2008 - but of course, it started out with 310hp....now the new Hemi has 390. I bet that one hauls butt.....anyone driven an '09 yet?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

had i got the hemi i would have been happier yes but i do not regret getting the 4.7l at all. i just have a bigger challenge ahead of me i geuss and i like challenges ( i even do not mind spending the money on it. its a love affair i geuss)

Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

ill let you guys in on a secret though ( i have been searching 08s in the area now that the 09s came out because i can take everything i have an use it on the 08, just got to wait for sc to get the update out for 08s)

Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
manualagain
Professional

I could not be any happier with my 4.7, if you like your hemi that's great, but I have no envy whatsoever! I expect to be driving my 310 hp 6 speed for a long time and won't be trading it off for anybodies hemi!

Quick Reply: 4.7 doesnt have jack on the hemi