3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 doesnt have jack on the hemi

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 PM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Just lie teacher...don't break the mans heart and tell him he gets worse mileage with 110 less hp .

Seriously though...this truck gets the best mpg of any truck i've owned. Bone stock I was getting high 24's on the highway going 65....high 16's in town. I dunno what I get since the tune and couple mods...it's in the same ballpark even with MDS disabled.

Also the hemi will get better mpg as load increases...like towing/hauling. More torque means less engine load required to maintain speed....means better mpg.
WOW!!! I thank you sooo much for caring about my feelings and heart. Im reading this thread and what everyone has to say and I started thinking... geez maybe my truck really does get crap for mpg, and maybe the hemi isnt all that bad on gas. So I went back to the thread titled "mpgs what are you getting?". I gotta tell ya, apparently you guys bought the special trucks because not one person on the mpg thread with a hemi got more than 21 mpg hwy. But in this thread people are getting an astonishing 24mpg on the hwy. The average mpg was around 14.7mpg. not far from my friends 13.5mpg. So here i sit all broken harted..you opened your mouth and only farted.

Last edited by bigbuckhunter; 01-12-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:08 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bigbuckhunter
WOW!!! I thank you sooo much for caring about my feelings and heart. Im reading this thread and what everyone has to say and I started thinking... geez maybe my truck really does get crap for mpg, and maybe the hemi isnt all that bad on gas. So I went back to the thread titled "mpgs what are you getting?". I gotta tell ya, apparently you guys bought the special trucks because not one person on the mpg thread with a hemi got more than 21 mpg hwy. But in this thread people are getting an astonishing 24mpg on the hwy. The average mpg was around 14.7mpg. not far from my friends 13.5mpg. So here i sit all broken harted..you opened your mouth and only farted.
Really? Well i guess that's not my post on top of page 95 then...talk about foot in mouth. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...etting-95.html Oh looky there...the post right below me with a 4.7 getting 12.3. Are you getting 12.3??? I guess it really does depend on the individual, the maintenance of the truck and the truck configuration then...go figure.

I can see why you're defensive though...I would be too if I bought the 4.7 for better mpg but in the end all I got was less power Believe what ya want dude...it's not changing the amount of fuel in my tank.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:26 AM
muns152000

wow the hostility, kidding, dont start bashing me. I have a 08 4.7l QCSB 4X4, I love it. Talking about gas mileage, I did a trip recently trying to see the top mileage I could get, I got 18mpg, I was stoked about it, but I hate driving like a grandma. So on the way back I got 14.5mpg. That was much more exciting of a trip. It is all about how you drive guy's. Oh yeah if you put the truck into a mud hole then you will get about 4mpg lol

Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 AM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

The post below yours stated 12.7 but use your head if I had all of this...
"04 RAM 4.7 LTR QC , 5 SPEED MANUAL
KnN cai-- v force dual catback exhaust sys-- 180 stat-- asp pulley-- e fan --ngk sp --H/O cams--jba headers--superchips 3815-- 70 mm tb --AR powerwire-- future and here soon >>>> 4:56 gears w/auburn lsd , ported heads+springs/valve/pistons combo "
...Chances are I would have my foot buried somewhere deep in the floorboard. My point inst about less hp, its about less mpg! so if you need that hemi to compensate and help youself sleep thats your problem. Im not in a peeing for distance contest about HP or Tq. Im simply making the point that the gas milage was worth the lack of Hp. read the name of the thread. my overall point in my response to the thread is that the jack the 4.7 DOES have on the hemi is the mpg. But since you felt you needed to go 95 pages back to prove your point, I'll be big enough to say congrats....you have the highest Mpg hemi on this forum.

Last edited by bigbuckhunter; 01-13-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 AM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

your right muns and so are you severed. mpg does depend on alot of different things. the driver, modifications, rating of fuel, year of truck,if the truck has mds, amount of lift, how close to a semi your following, wind,ect...bottom line if you put the same driver in both trucks on the same course we know which one would win the mpg battle.
there I said all Im going to say, I hope I havent ruffeled too many feathers,Im wavin the white flag severed. the hemi is a heck of a truck. wish i could have afforded one when i bought my 4.7.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:48 AM
6 hemi ram
Professional

im stil trying to figure out who gives a s!!t if one truck is getting x-mpgs and another is getting y-mpgs. i bought a truck and knew that mpgs werent in the equation. i bought this truck cause it was the fastest, baddest looking truck i had driven. gas mileage??? who gives a f!!! about gas mileage. want good gas mileage??? take the bus. was that out of line? my bad.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bigbuckhunter
opened your mouth and only farted again!! The post below yours stated 12.7 but use your head if I had all of this...
"04 RAM 4.7 LTR QC , 5 SPEED MANUAL
KnN cai-- v force dual catback exhaust sys-- 180 stat-- asp pulley-- e fan --ngk sp --H/O cams--jba headers--superchips 3815-- 70 mm tb --AR powerwire-- future and here soon >>>> 4:56 gears w/auburn lsd , ported heads+springs/valve/pistons combo "
...Chances are I would have my foot buried somewhere deep in the floorboard. My point inst about less hp, its about less mpg! so if you need that hemi to compensate and help youself sleep thats your problem. Im not in a peeing for distance contest about HP or Tq. Im simply making the point that the gas milage was worth the lack of Hp. read the name of the thread. my overall point in my response to the thread is that the jack the 4.7 DOES have on the hemi is the mpg. But since you felt you needed to go 95 pages back to prove your point, I'll be big enough to say congrats....you have the highest Mpg hemi on this forum.
Actually it says 12.3 "12.3 gallons lol probably less now"...but yea I didn't see his mods for whatever reason. You know the hilarious thing about him getting 12.3 with a bolt-on and cammed 4.7 is he's probably not even getting stock hemi numbers yet. And I didn't go 95 pages back...there's only 98 pages in the thread so I started at the last page and went three back. Did ya follow that?

And my point of this thread is the 4.7 doesn't have anything over the hemi at all...including mpg. It's a good OHC motor that has potential but that's all i'll give it. So to keep it short the hemi gets around the same mpg unloaded...gets better mpg loaded. Aren't you glad you bought your 4.7?

And if you actually believe my 2wd RCSB 3.55 rear would get the same mpg as a QCSB 4x4 (most of the guys here) then you really have no clue.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 AM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

Yep I have no clue.
travel safe no matter what ya drive.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 AM
formguy
Rookie
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ben D.
I havn't played with an 09 hemi truck but with my rcsb and the stick shift i can edge out a hemi qcsb and a rcsb hemi i can keep up with. Either way i'd rather have the 4.7L and the stick shift. all the hemi owners will wish they did too when they get to 70k miles and they wonder wtf is going on with their transmission. 545rfe for the win haha. at least i can flog my g238 and go home feeling like this truck will last. can't say that with an autotragic
I must be blessed, I've got the hemi and a five speed stick! Over 150K on it. It's my work truck/daily driver. It has plowed snow every winter and towed trailers loaded with concrete forms the other three seasons. It's been wheeled hard while bringing materials to the woods to build bridges on ATV/snowmobile trails. She's scratched, dinged and usually filthy, but it still hauls the most important thing, a$$. I love the old girl!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

what would win in a race, a 4.7 rcsb or a 5.7 qcsb

Quick Reply: 4.7 doesnt have jack on the hemi