3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tach issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 AM
tweener
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 3500 diesel doinf similar things, but it frequently ends up with the tach needle STUCK at a position of the needle wrapped all the way around to the right, and up against the stop.

I found a fix to straighten it out, do a simple gauge check, by with the key off, press and hold the trip reset button.....while holding, turn the key to run, and then release the button....gauges will do a self test, and sweep, and needle will return to Zero. Turn key off, and re-start.....within several days, the tach is stuck "buried" again...

I have been trying to pin point the problem, and as Shop owner and Mechanic, I believe it either to be in the cluster, or the wiring to the clucter, or the signal to the clucter from the ECU, or faulty inputs to ECU.

My guess by this point is that it is in the cluster itself.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Stubacca
Unhappy 06 Ram 1500 Night Runner

I too have this issue with my Tach, and at times have it wound all the way around to the back of the start pin like it maxed out. My engine is not effected, and I can tell my approx. rpm by the sounds. Its super annoying and Dodge really should fix these known issues for free.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Hank's06RAM
Default How it fix the Tach for free

I had all the same problem with my tach. It started with low RPM readings of 200 rpm at idle. Then after an while it was not moving at all.

I followed the instructions given on this site and now my Tach has been working great for several weeks.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...-issues-3.html

Last edited by Hank's06RAM; 01-29-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:37 PM
jwrig540
Default Tachometer needle on wrong side of resting pin 2006 Dodge Ram

On 2006 Dodge Ram:
1. Push and hold the trip meter button, starting with the key in the off position.
2. With the trip meter button still pushed in, rotate the key from the off position two clicks clockwise but do not engage the starter.
3. You will observe several instrument checks including the speedometer needle moving. Within about 15 or 20 seconds the tachometer needle will start to move in a reverse clockwise rotation. Once the tachometer is at 1000 rpms or less turn the key to the off position - two clicks counter clockwise. Then release the trip meter button.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:23 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jwrig540
On 2006 Dodge Ram:
1. Push and hold the trip meter button, starting with the key in the off position.
2. With the trip meter button still pushed in, rotate the key from the off position two clicks clockwise but do not engage the starter.
3. You will observe several instrument checks including the speedometer needle moving. Within about 15 or 20 seconds the tachometer needle will start to move in a reverse clockwise rotation. Once the tachometer is at 1000 rpms or less turn the key to the off position - two clicks counter clockwise. Then release the trip meter button.

Hope this helps.
Lmao it's a 7 year old forum

Old 02-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Dennis Nelms
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwrig540
On 2006 Dodge Ram:

Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Lmao it's a 7 year old forum
7Yr old but just what I needed! Got my 06 Ram about 6 months ago. Ever since the tach was a bit wonky (similar to other issues described in thread) until about 2 months ago when it went to the wrong resting side. It's a manual trans and while I know my shift points by speed and sound, I was wanting to teach my wife to drive manual trans and tach is vital in learning. Thank you!

The following users liked this post:
lxman1 (02-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Tach issues