3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 1500 with 4.7 die's when I stop while cold only

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 03:03 AM
slamnnn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 1500 with 4.7 die's when I stop while cold only

I live in AZ it not freezing here but when the temp gets in the low 50 or less the truck will die only when I come to a stop. Once it runs for a little bit and warms up it goes away and only dose this when it's cold and cold outside. Any ideas on where to start? I replaced the tps with after market sensor it went away for a while then when it started doing it again I put a factory tps in after reading it might not like after market still no help.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

50 degrees being described as 'cold'? While I sit here, staring at the snow outside, and the barely double-digit temps..... (yes, that is indeed jealousy you hear there.)

Start with cleaning the throttle body.

The following users liked this post:
FaceDeAce (11-16-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 10:47 AM
slamnnn

Originally Posted by HeyYou
50 degrees being described as 'cold'? While I sit here, staring at the snow outside, and the barely double-digit temps..... (yes, that is indeed jealousy you hear there.)

Start with cleaning the throttle body.
I did that before the TPS. I forgot to say also that I know that it happens so right before I come to a stop I can take my foot off the brakes and it will chug a little and not stall. It happens right at the point it stops. But when it does it will start right back up just fine and idle normally.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:50 AM
slamnnn

50 degrees isn't bad for me but my truck dosen't like it much.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:57 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Try pulling your IAC valve and spraying it with carb cleaner. Also look for any vacum leaks.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:30 AM
slamnnn

Thanks I will try that but I will have to wait until it gets cold here again to see if it works

Old 11-16-2019, 03:27 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As already put forth
- Remove the throttle body from the truck.
- Remove the IAC from the throttle body and clean it. Ensure the spigot is clean and the plunger it moves smoothly.
- Cleaning of the throttle body plate- both sides, throat- both sides, and IAC pass ports in it.
- Lube the IAC o-rings with a light smear of hi-temp grease, I use faucet grease. Put IAC/TB back together and back onto the truck.

I will also add to the discussion the following.
- when my 2005 4.7 was acting up, rough idle and low speed stalls; the main culprit was the EGR valve. Replaced the EGR valve and the problem disappeared. (I was getting EGR codes, which helped pin point that one.)
- after the EGR replace, cleaning of the MAP and IAT sensors cleared up the rest of the drivability concerns. Runs super smooth since.
- look over the system closely for vacuum lines leaks
- replace the PCV valve annually as a matter of good practice

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 11-16-2019 at 03:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slamnnn (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 03:55 PM
slamnnn

Thanks for the extra ideas I will definitely try those things to. I might have to do that and go up north to some colder weather to see how it does. We have had warmer weather lately here in Phx Az and it seems to only do it when it gets below 50 low 40's

Old 02-24-2020, 05:37 PM
Budddy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it stall when only when you stop abruptly? Or does it do it when stopping at a normal speed?

Also, if the problem persists, try putting your vehicle in neutral as you’re stopping to see if it still stalls?

I’m thinking your stalling issue when the engine is cold may be related to incorrect fuel to air mixture resulting from clogged fuel injectors.

Have you noticed a drop in fuel efficiency since this problem started occurring?

Old 02-24-2020, 06:34 PM
slamnnn

It does it either way when I stop normal but it does worse when I stop abruptly. It doesn't do it if I put it in neutral then stop that way it's fine.

Quick Reply: 2002 1500 with 4.7 die's when I stop while cold only