3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Re-did the CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The black paint doesn't retain any heat as someone said earlier. Black absorbs heat in the sun, but not under the hood....

Old 01-16-2009, 09:49 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
that looks really good. i was thinking about getting the power wire? is it worth it?
No...spend a little more and get a used handheld.

If you're dead set on a "power wire" just do the IAT mod. Remove the IAT and put a 5 cent resistor in the IAT's harness (use electrical tape so it's temporary/easy to remove)...if I remember right you'll want high resistance to tell the pcm the air is cold. The IAT sensor is just a variable resistor and the power wire is just a fixed value resistor....same with that ebay thing in the other thread. IMO you shouldn't do it...on a really hot day you could run into problems. Some here will say it's safe but they're not the ones going to pay to fix your engine. Also any gain is minimal..

Oh and nice CAI rssjib

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 01-16-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:51 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by rssjib
The black paint doesn't retain any heat as someone said earlier. Black absorbs heat in the sun, but not under the hood....
wrong. radiation exists in non visible frequencies as well. microwaves do work even if they don't have a light inside.

but i'd take the look of the black over the 'benefit' of the polished any day

Old 01-16-2009, 09:56 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

I feel lonely now with my CAI. I have a metal one, but it's not the polished one, just a regular metal intake.
But set up looks really sweet. How does the Jet Stream work? Where does that thing hook up at and plug into? Could you put up some more pics of that thing sometime?

Old 01-16-2009, 09:58 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ried69
I feel lonely now with my CAI. I have a metal one, but it's not the polished one, just a regular metal intake.
But set up looks really sweet. How does the Jet Stream work? Where does that thing hook up at and plug into? Could you put up some more pics of that thing sometime?
http://www.airram.com/product.php?ca...3&productid=11

Actually for your year it's here >>>>>>>>> http://www.airram.com/product.php?ca...&productid=266

Old 01-16-2009, 10:01 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

I've read that, but I guess the one thing that I really want to ask, is do you have to replace the air filter with that? The site leads me to believe that you do, but his pictures confuse me of what he has done with it.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:46 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
The IAT sensor is just a variable resistor and the power wire is just a fixed value resistor.
Noooooo!

The power wire is a fixed resistor but it does not replace the temp sensor. It modifies the resistance so that the reading is a certain amount below actual.

I agree that replacing the temp sensor with a fixed value is bad. Messing with actual vs. reported temps by ~20 degrees isn't a problem, especially where premium fuel is 93 octane.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Grey-Ghost
Professional

ok just to be clear did you just wrap pvc around the old intake are build a new old cause it looks awesome and if you did can you please do a write up.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:08 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by John M
Noooooo!

The power wire is a fixed resistor but it does not replace the temp sensor. It modifies the resistance so that the reading is a certain amount below actual.

I agree that replacing the temp sensor with a fixed value is bad. Messing with actual vs. reported temps by ~20 degrees isn't a problem, especially where premium fuel is 93 octane.
Oh that's not so bad then...but in that case it makes the gains claim harder to swallow. 8-10rwhp with the pcm thinking the air charge is only 20* cooler?? I don't think so..

Either way the best route to go is a used handheld or just save your money IMO.

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 01-16-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:04 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Here is a pic of the jet stream scoop........it just directs cool/fresh air in to where the filter of a normal CAI should be.....

Quick Reply: Re-did the CAI