3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Directional signals on mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009 | 10:31 AM
Rojhan
|
Veteran
Default Directional signals on mirrors

I'm a bit surprised that the 2007/2008 Rams don't come with the directional signals on the mirrors. Don't know if it's an option, but I haven't seen them, either.

I have an '08 2500 with towing mirrors. I've been thinking about buying strip LEDs and mounting them to the outside of the mirrors and tapping into the turn signal wire inside the mirror housing.... if it exists?

Anybody know if the wiring harness into the power/heated/towing mirrors include the directional signal feed?

Thanks,

Old 01-16-2009 | 12:03 PM
Rojhan
|
Veteran

I cheated and called the dealer to see if turn-signal mirrors were even available. They are, but require some additional electrical work. Book time is 1.5 hours per mirror.

I have my old, non-tow mirrors from my '07 and I'll see how difficult it is to pull them apart without damage and also check the wiring harness on the truck. I may have to fish new wire through the door into the cab and find out where to tap them.

Old 01-16-2009 | 12:04 PM
Rojhan
|
Veteran

BTW, I'm looking at mounting these to the outside surface of the mirror housing:
http://radiantz.com/cart/index1.html?c6.html

Old 01-16-2009 | 01:13 PM
dodgeorgethit
Professional

Hate them

Old 01-16-2009 | 02:01 PM
Rojhan
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodgeorgethit
Hate them
Hate radiantz, or hate the idea of turn signals on mirrors?

"people" don't pay enough in general on the road, and when I'm towing the more things I can use to say "Hey, I'm turning!", the better.

Old 01-16-2009 | 09:07 PM
JamesVT
Rookie

I also love the idea, I think they look great. Does anyone know if they make them for an 04?

Old 01-16-2009 | 10:10 PM
sos
All Star

I've never seen them on a Dodge, but I wish they had them too. The only problem I see is that the tow mirrors rotate. Where would you put them? I'm not sure, but I doubt they have the turn signal out there in the harness. Even so, It might not be that hard to get them there, assuming the mirrors come apart.

If you do them, put up a DIY. I'd like to see them, but I'm too chicken to risk damaging mine.

Old 01-16-2009 | 10:12 PM
dodgeorgethit
Professional

On mirrors

Originally Posted by rojhan
hate radiantz, or hate the idea of turn signals on mirrors?

"people" don't pay enough in general on the road, and when i'm towing the more things i can use to say "hey, i'm turning!", the better.

Old 01-16-2009 | 10:55 PM
Rojhan
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by sos
I've never seen them on a Dodge, but I wish they had them too. The only problem I see is that the tow mirrors rotate. Where would you put them? I'm not sure, but I doubt they have the turn signal out there in the harness. Even so, It might not be that hard to get them there, assuming the mirrors come apart.

If you do them, put up a DIY. I'd like to see them, but I'm too chicken to risk damaging mine.
I'm thinking of running a strip along the outside edge (when in normal position). When flipped up to tow position, they'll be along the bottom, but still fairly far away from the door. It won't be a chevron/arrow, but it should still be obvious what they are there for.

I found some aftermarket lights and they show running an additional wire. I'm going to poke around this weekend and see how much pain there will be.

Old 01-16-2009 | 10:56 PM
Rojhan
|
Veteran

BTW... For less of a DIY, try:
http://www.muthco.com/index.htm

Quick Reply: Directional signals on mirrors