3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Release

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
adk43
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Release

Whenever it is below 25 degrees I cannot get my truck out of park without pressing the brake down about 20-30 times. At that point I will finally hear the click of the transmission release and I can put it into gear. I have a 2008 QC 1500 with 4.7 engine. Not sure if this is a common problem or just my truck. When the truck is warmed up, the problem stops.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 PM
draco8494
Captain

ide say take it back to the dealer, let them deal with it, or get a remote start kit and let that bad boy warm up b4 you get in it...

Old 01-17-2009, 03:08 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

yea you gotta let her warm up for a while. i dont think people understand how important it is to let vehicles warm up when its really cold.i heard that if you warm it up and let it sit in neutral the trans fluid warms up faster. my truck will bump into drive slightly in the morning after its been idling.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:28 AM
adk43

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it is off to the dealership. I do warm the truck for about 10 minutes on cold days and it still takes a couple of minutes of pressing and releasing the brake until it finally releases.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:04 AM
HooliganParade

actually, putting the transmission in neutral while it is idling will actually cool off the transmission fluid because there is no resistance or "load" on the torque converter. that is actally what your supposed to do if your towing a heavy load and your trans temp light comes on.

and the issue with not being able to take it out of park on a cold day doesnt sound like a transmission issue to me as much as a shifter issue. anyone please correct me if im wrong. im almost positive the shifter is locked in by the brake pedal, so something isnt clicking when it's supposed to when you push down the brake to release the shifter. now im new to the whole dodge thing, but i do know some cars have a fuse or relay for the shifter solenoid. blow the fuse or short out a relay, and it wont let you take it out of park.

just a useful peice of information, doesnt "necessarily' apply to your truck.

and if it is under warranty, then by all means take it to the dealer and let them deal with it. if they say anything about charging you for it, make a scene in front of everyone. thats how i get what i want from a dealer

Last edited by HooliganParade; 01-19-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like the brake light switch is sticking when cold. This is what releases the shifter.

It only needs to run for a minute or two before driving. It will warm up faster under a load and this will save gas and wear and tear on the drivetrain.

Quick Reply: Transmission Release