3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stock Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I only had 1200miles on my Truck when I pulled off the HP's. Best thing I ever did to my truck. I just didn't feel comfortable going into winter weather with them. I didn't think that a 4x4 truck should be fitted with those tires in the Northeast weather. They wouldn't even grip on dry pavement because they are a harder compound which means even worse for wet weather and especially colder weather. I ended up getting $400 for them because the little use they had. I just put that money towards the Coopers.

DON'T BUY TIRE's from your local tire shop without comparing their prices with Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct.

My local tire shop wanted $280 plus Tax for the Coopers that I got from Discount for $170 total. I paid including mount and balance $740 for my Cooper LTZ's. Local Adirondack Tire wanted $1210 total. They wanted $310 for the Silent Armors that I could get from Tire Rack for $195 shipped. Highway robbery I tell ya.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least you got a bit of cash for your tires, I was only able to get $250 for mine and I had less than 800 miles on mine when I traded them in. What they had told me was the tire really only fit a dodge rim because it was an odd size and NO ONE around my area was buying that type of a tire except as a spare every so often. And that was from Discount tire too.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I ended up getting $550 for mine. I had to ship them, but that only cost me $35 each tire because they are farily light compared to actual truck tires...lol My Coopers wheighed in almost double compared to the HP's

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-20-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

Yea great highway tire but terrible anywhere else. I catn even get out of my driveway when theres a coating of snow on the ground. They are great in 4x4 but thats about it. Im also getting the zeons before next winter. these stockers are an accident waiting to happen.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:42 AM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

if you buy somewhere, want a good deal and warranty regardless of what tire you buy, if you have them try buying from Hibdon Tires Plus, Granted I just replaced the comapct tires about 3k back but I bought the high end Yoko's for mine and I love them, besides, they carry a FULL warranty and rotate/balance them FREE.

**EDIT**

there is a sister company out where you live I can look up for you if you like, but I have replaced my tires with them since I have been driving, the training some of the guys go through its insane but good.
/EDIT

Last edited by RodeoRamCowgirl; 01-20-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
jankerson
Professional

Originally Posted by V_Scapes
Yea great highway tire but terrible anywhere else. I catn even get out of my driveway when theres a coating of snow on the ground. They are great in 4x4 but thats about it. Im also getting the zeons before next winter. these stockers are an accident waiting to happen.
GY tires are horrible in the snow and ice from my past experiences. The compound is just too hard.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i will second the toyo open country at's they are a great tire. do not let these littel tire delaers rip you off either. i went to a few places and they all wanted $280+ for the 275-60-20 toyo tires. i got them for $220ish installed from town fair tire. i wish i got a wider tire to give the truck a better look but a taller skinnier tire is better in the snow. cannot go wrong with toyos. i had the bfg long trails on an older truck and i absolutely hated them. but thats just me. the stock HPs lasted about 25000 miles for me. ha di not spun them soo often im sure they would have gone the distance but just not a good tire for northeast weather at all. dodge should have put different tires for different regions.

i was able to sell my spare for $100 though.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

my tires have a hair under 40k on them and they are still in good shape from what i can tell. i agree though, the HP tires for the rams just dont have a deep/ aggressive enough tread for the power the truck puts out.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
nh5
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the hp tires are terrible. I'm currently slipping all over. Plus I need new tires anyway. I'm planning on the cooper zeon's.

Quick Reply: Stock Tires