3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Cappy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Never mind , Didn't see the second page)

I've seen the tow hooks with a very heavy load bar incorporated in to the mount connecting both frame rails. That bar may keep you from pulling you frame apart on a side pull. I'm welding up my own hooks and I'll surely be using something to tie the two rails together.

Last edited by Cappy; 01-20-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: I'm a dumb ass
Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 6 hemi ram
im not gonna be much help here, but i have tow hooks on my 1500. when i got her, i was told that the 2500 i test drove was identical to the 1500 the wife was getting me. well. she was lacking a hitch, sprayin bed liner, tow hooks, and LSD. so i took her back to the stealer and was told that whatever i wanted, they would take care of. i assumed that i would have to pay for the work but they would give me a deal. i got everything but the 3.92s (dammit). they ended up not charging me anymore than the $25k that had been agreed upon beforehand.
anyways, the tow hooks that were offered to me were the round type and i have the keeper loop straps and that wasnt going to work for me. so i asked them to find me an L type hook. this is what they came up with. i have no idea right now how they are attached because it is dark out. tomorrow ill take a look. here are some pics. ill take some better ones tomorrow.

Sick truck dude. I love how that looks. And are those little red lights in your bumper? Also, how did you take off that black valance? Some of the screws on that seem impossible to get to with a wrench.

Back on topic...
I'd like to weld some on to mine, the only problem is that I'd want the bumper off to weld, so I get it nice and even. I'm a decent welder, but not that great. I can weld MIG and arc.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:10 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

yea those are/were red lights in the bumper. i checked them out today and one was burned out so i took them out. gonna look for some blue ones at autozone to match the truck.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:37 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

here are a few more pics of the tow hooks on the bumper.

this one is looking down on the inside with the hood up. this is the passenger side of the bar that the hooks are welded to. the bar is bolted to the large square flange that is at the end of the accordian looking frame end.
Name:  Picture1075.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  35.8 KB

this is a pic of the drivers side connection of the hook bar to the flange that connects the bumper among other things.
Name:  Picture1074.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  79.0 KB

this bar as far as i know was custom made for me but i dont know who made this. it is as you can see though a bolt on mod. hope this helps. if there is enough interest i can see if the dealership can find out where it came form.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM
flwalks
Professional

Its not custom made. Its the dodge dealer accessory for the 1500 ram. The same one I showed on page 2 and picked up on E-bay for $90 from pennypartswizard.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Shred

That looks sturdy, do you have to get a new plastic piece or do you just cut it out?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:25 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 6 hemi ram
yea those are/were red lights in the bumper. i checked them out today and one was burned out so i took them out. gonna look for some blue ones at autozone to match the truck.
Post up some pictures when you get them put in. That would look like a sweet mod for just a little nighttime thing.

I'm thinking about tow hooks, but won't do anything until I get a bull bar. I'd hate to buy some, then rip them off when I put on the bull bar.

Quick Reply: Tow hooks