3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Omg my love is sick!!! 2002 dodge ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
dodgeramgirl1987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Omg my love is sick!!! 2002 dodge ram

For those who know me, know that i adore my truck.. Its my first vehicle that i paid off and own. Ok i am having number of problems with my truck so please help me....

1. My truck is throwing a funky code with the check engine light...i dont exactly remember it but its says something about the radiator fan relay circuit. My bro checked it out cause he is owns a dodge himself and he said thats wierd since i have a clutch radiator fan not an electric radiator fan. What could it be.. I have tried clearing it and its wont. And now my engine is making a wierd whirring sound... I dont want to take it to a mechanic until i have an idea what it could be because i already got screwed like that.

2. When i break something in the front end clanks and clunks. I could feel it on my break pedal.

Please heeeelppppp!!!!!

I jus went to autozone and the code i am getting is p1491

Last edited by dodgeramgirl1987; 01-21-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
draco8494
Captain

dunno about the code, but the whirring sound your talking about sounds like your clutch fan went out, as in the clutch is no longer clutching and the fan is running constantly, you can take the opportunity and get an electric fan, or you can just replace the clutch fan, hope this helps

Old 01-21-2009, 06:25 PM
dodgeramgirl1987

Originally Posted by draco8494
dunno about the code, but the whirring sound your talking about sounds like your clutch fan went out, as in the clutch is no longer clutching and the fan is running constantly, you can take the opportunity and get an electric fan, or you can just replace the clutch fan, hope this helps
thanks for the reply!!!
wouldnt that make the radiator heat up?? cause it hasnt heat up at all!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:31 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

is there anyway to get the code for us? so we can possibly help you more. is there anything loose in the frotn end maybe check the ball joints they could be on their way out. are they the proginal brake pads/rotor on your 2002?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's the A/C coolant fan. They're electric, and somewhat prone to failure.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

give me a little more info and I could probably diagnose it for you...

the fan relay is probably for the secondary fan. You should have a primary (clutch) and secondary for the condensor, etc. and it's electric. Trust me if it was summer, you'd tell if this one wasn't working. It's for among other things, the A/C.
Go to any "chain" auto parts store: Auto Zone, Advance, etc. they will pull the code for free. Give it in this thread and I will be able to tell you what that issue is. Also, the reason the code won't go away is because the issue must stop or you'll just keep popping the code.
The second issue is going to be a warped rotor I would imagine...

Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 PM
dodgeramgirl1987

Originally Posted by nickahern1
is there anyway to get the code for us? so we can possibly help you more. is there anything loose in the frotn end maybe check the ball joints they could be on their way out. are they the proginal brake pads/rotor on your 2002?
im sure i can go back to autozone to find out because i totally forgot.. im sorry... this sucks.. i have already had to replace the whole engine because of cracked heads. and im not sure what kind of brakes pads or rotor but i can tell u that i first thought that sound was from my breaks. I was trying to avoid an accident on the freeway with a speedracer who thought he was auditioning for the fast and the furious!!!!!! anywho i braked reaaaaly hard and i have been hearing that sound ever since... so i got the breaks changed and its still making that noise... another thing is my gas mileage.. i have been getting only 210 miles per tank.. and i used to get 310 but my mechanic said its because of the new engine...

Old 01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
dodgeramgirl1987

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
give me a little more info and I could probably diagnose it for you...

the fan relay is probably for the secondary fan. You should have a primary (clutch) and secondary for the condensor, etc. and it's electric. Trust me if it was summer, you'd tell if this one wasn't working. It's for among other things, the A/C.
Go to any "chain" auto parts store: Auto Zone, Advance, etc. they will pull the code for free. Give it in this thread and I will be able to tell you what that issue is. Also, the reason the code won't go away is because the issue must stop or you'll just keep popping the code.
The second issue is going to be a warped rotor I would imagine...
omg that would explain why my ac isnt blowing cold air....

Old 01-21-2009, 06:50 PM
red06RAM
All Star

How new is the engine? And what engine is it?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
dodgeramgirl1987

Originally Posted by red06RAM
How new is the engine? And what engine is it?
my truck is a 2002 and the engine put in was a 2005 dodge ram 1500 engine. it was put in april 2008

Last edited by dodgeramgirl1987; 01-21-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Omg my love is sick!!! 2002 dodge ram