3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wiring Harness for brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009 | 09:31 AM
Anglinfool
|
Default Wiring Harness for brake controller

Hey there. Where do I find the wiring harness for a brake controller in my 2008 RAM 1500 4x4, quad cab, TRX4? Does it even have one or do I have to buy it extra. This truck has the tow package, so I assume it's somewhere, but I can't find it!!

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2009 | 10:53 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

The brake controller would be on the trailering vehicle itself, not in the truck. The tow package doesn't consist of an external brake controller like your probably used to. The 7pin harness just supplies the power for the trailer to power up it's controller.
Just incase you weren't aware, you have the standard 4 pin plug, a 7-pin round plug and a Class IV hitch

Old 01-23-2009 | 11:19 AM
Anglinfool
|

I may be confused here (happens all the time). I have the controller that goes under the dash, but I want to find the harness it attaches to. My old Dodge had a harness right under the dash, easy to find that just plugged in. I can't find it on this truck.

Old 01-23-2009 | 12:29 PM
robeeto

there is a harness undder there, it should be just zip tied near the steering column.

Old 01-23-2009 | 12:31 PM
robeeto

Originally Posted by dirtydog
The brake controller would be on the trailering vehicle itself, not in the truck.
Thats incorrect. You install the controller in the truck.

Old 01-23-2009 | 12:33 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Originally Posted by robeeto
Thats incorrect. You install the controller in the truck.

No not necessarily!
My 14' V-nose enclosed trailer has the potentiometer and controller in the box on the nose! Oh, and i bought it that way!

I wasn't aware there was anything up under the dash for you to plug into. I never had to bother with that.

Old 01-23-2009 | 01:01 PM
robeeto

Originally Posted by dirtydog
No not necessarily!
My 14' V-nose enclosed trailer has the potentiometer and controller in the box on the nose! Oh, and i bought it that way!

I wasn't aware there was anything up under the dash for you to plug into. I never had to bother with that.
I stand corrected. I thought the only exception was for a full hydraulic brake set up.
Typically, electric trailer brakes require a signal from your controller to activate. (its the blue wire in a 7 pin connector)

Old 01-23-2009 | 01:06 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Originally Posted by robeeto
I stand corrected. I thought...

This is where I need that Stewie scene where he says "It doesn't matter what you thought, I was right you were wrong".....

I just wanted to quote this...lmao

I'll check into it and let you know, even if the shoe ends up on the other foot

Old 01-23-2009 | 01:14 PM
robeeto

If you had a controlleer in your cab Dirty Dog, you would already know, you dont have to check.

Old 01-23-2009 | 01:23 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

No, I meant why the trailer brake works without the controller under the dash to power the lead!
I just plug the 7pin harness in and when I first got it, I had to adjust the potentiometer for the brakes to engage just enough where it was keeping the reciever taught or rather barely slowing the truck.

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness for brake controller