3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Marvel Mystery Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:00 PM
jmaskew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried a dose (can't remember the exact amount) of MMO in the oil and let it run for 3,000 miles with no results for the Hemi tick. On the last oil change I put Mobile1 0w-30 Synthetic that seemed to quiet it down a little but the tick is still there. If it is due to short rods why would it all of a sudden appear?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

Substitute a quart of MMO for a quart of oil during an oil change. I cannot tell you if it fixes the tick, but it cleans it out. Similar to running Synthetic for awhile.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:44 AM
matty_p
Professional

Wher did you guys find the MMO or snake oil. Do the regular retailers (Napa, Autozone etc...) carry it or do I have to find it on the internet.

Also, is it the same as Seafoam? Heard of it, but haven't tried it.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:32 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

You can get it at a local parts store. Red bottle, black/red label.

IMO it's kind of like Seafoam. I run Seafoam through the brake booster to clean things out and also the gas tank for fuel lines/injectors. MMO is good for running in the oil, it can fix dried out seals and cleans the inside well. You could also run it through the fuel lines as well.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:35 PM
matty_p
Professional

Can it be added to synthetic oil?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:59 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can get it at walmart too

Old 03-04-2009, 01:28 AM
OneBadKota
All Star

Originally Posted by matty_p
Can it be added to synthetic oil?

Yep, but there's really no point if you run synthetic. Over a few oil changes, synthetic will do what MMO usually does in 1 or 2 changes.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 AM
dutter
Rookie

i run seafoam in my streetbike & dirtbike. i usually add around 2 ounces in the gas tank every 2nd or 3rd fill up. how much should i run in the truck?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

For the fuel? It should say on the bottle. I know MMO is 4oz per tank, I could only assume Seafoam would be the same.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:06 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I used this stuff in my Olds 98 once. It was a 307 with a little over 100k and excellent cylinder pressure. I thought I would try it to help clean the engine out. Well I added it and drove around for a good while and then started getting a knock. Well the knock grew worse and by the time I get it home it was so bad it would hardly stay running. I pulled the engine and pulled the pan first. After removing the main caps and then the crankshart I found I spun to main bearings and literally destroyed the crank. I flipped it back over and tore down the top of the engine only to find all that stuff that Mystery Oil "cleaned" deposited in the valley of the block and blocked all the oil drainage holes that go back down to the pan and pump. So all my oil ended on the top side of the engine with none is the pan resulting in the spinning of 2 main bearings. I will NEVER use it again.

Quick Reply: Marvel Mystery Oil?