3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coopers + Sand Bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rebel61021
I have BFG Mud Terrain tires and this is the first winter in Northen IL. that I have not had to put weight in the bed of my truck. granted my last truck was only 2 wheel drive but I have not had to put the new truck in 4X4 yet ( I have just to have some fun ) but have not really needed it even with 4+ inches at times.
Just because you didn't need the sand bags doesn't mean they wouldn't have made a diff. hell, I don't need them, but when I put them back there I can notice a big diff.
You should try it with the sand bags and then remove them and drive without. I bet you'd rather drive with them.
The worst conditions to drive in around NY is the beginning of a snow storm. The roads are covered and are super slick. Once there gets a few inches on the ground, you can hang in the grooves of other cars and maintain a straight line. Anytime before that, you can slide all over the place. I think that low accumulated storms are worse to drive it than heavier acumulated ones. Just my .02

Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM
yhike
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the ShurTrax works great.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:44 PM
red06RAM
All Star

I use water softener salt bags too. 4-5 50lb bags gets the job done.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:46 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by yhike
I use the ShurTrax works great.
I still use my bed in the winter time. I run my snowblower up in there and I still do housing projects when there's snow on the ground. Just because it snows doesn't mean I'm gonna render my truck useless. Sand bags can be removed in 30sec.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
yhike
Professional

Didn't say it works for all but it does work for me. I guess it all depends how you use the truck. I could not fit a snow-blower in my truck anyways since I have a cap and that is what I have a trailer for. But you would be amazed how strong that rubber is.
Also I had friend get seriously hurt from a sandbag when he got in a accident and the bag went through the back window but fluke accidents can happen on anything.

Last edited by yhike; 01-27-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:36 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by nickahern1
i used to run weight in the rear. i actually made a jig out of 2x4s to hold it to so it wouldnt slide and would stay over the axles at all times. but that was with the stock HPs with the toyos theres not as much of a need for the weight. they grip good. theywill break loose if i gas it hard, which happens quite often as i like to go sideways.
i was thinking about the same thing, a 2x4 through cinder blocks that would attach to the little hooks on the side. but i figured id save myself the time and just threw some bags in the back.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I still use my bed in the winter time. I run my snowblower up in there and I still do housing projects when there's snow on the ground. Just because it snows doesn't mean I'm gonna render my truck useless. Sand bags can be removed in 30sec.
same here, not to mention that thing costs what $100? where as 4 bags of sand costs $15?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mdram43
same here, not to mention that thing costs what $100? where as 4 bags of sand costs $15?
I think they are $200??? Your also stuck with a solid block of ice back there the entire winter. Once you fill it, that's it until spring time!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:49 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i could have sworn they were 200 too until i just looked it up and saw it for 100 thats why i edited it. i know for a fact they use to be 200 something because a friend of mine wanted on but once he saw the price just went with bags.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:53 PM
InfernoRedHemi
Veteran

When I had my 2wd I made a box that fits in on either side of the bump in the bed and a lid toped it off. In the box there were about 8 cinder boxes. This box ended up weighing around 300 pounds. With the box I also had 200lb in sandbags. To equal 500lb in my bed and I could still fit my little snow blower back there.

Now I have 4wd and I wanted a little bit of weight back there for when the roads aren't to bad but want some extra traction without going into 4wd. So I put 140lb of sand bags in the bed.

Quick Reply: Coopers + Sand Bags