3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

painted rims and bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:09 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should definitely get the grill painted next then it will be complete. looks like a real work truck thats not afraid to get some scratches on it. What kind of paint did you use?

Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 PM
74charger
Veteran

Originally Posted by raminator08
you should definitely get the grill painted next then it will be complete. looks like a real work truck thats not afraid to get some scratches on it. What kind of paint did you use?
Umm dupli color rim paint for the rims and bumpers and then just come dupli color car paint for the rockers, I think im gonna go get some of that clear coat stuff to, just to give it some more protection. And im not 100% sure about the grill yet, might kinda throw off the balance just a bit, cus as of right now everything black is low on my truck, if i do the grill it will extend it higher. I might have to see it photoshopped or something first.

Last edited by 74charger; 01-29-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Well, extend your black higher up. Put some clearance lights on the cab, smoke the third brake light and taillights, put on a black fuel door, then tint a strip on the windshield. Doing that will drag the black upwards. It would also give it a nice balanced look, while being unique. Just hope it holds up decent for you.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont laugh at my paint skilz cause i aint got none.... but was feeling art-sy
Name:  crude.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  36.4 KB

Old 01-30-2009, 12:05 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think theres anything wrong with painting the grille....all of the work trucks dodge makes come with a black grille, and i actually kinda like it....it think it looks good and like ried said, if you get some more black in some other places it wouldn't look like it's out there on it's own

Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

paint those chrome taillight covers black

Old 01-30-2009, 12:35 AM
74charger
Veteran

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
paint those chrome taillight covers black
Oh dont worry i'll be painting those damn things too. I just didnt have the time to do all the masking on them today maybe tomorrow. Alot of those other recomendations seem pretty good too . Maybe i will try doing all of that to bring the black up higher. The truck would look alot meaner if that grill was flat black thats for sure. As for everything holding up, I;m not real worried as I mentioned this is just kind of a play around truck, if ive gotta touch stuff up every few months or once a year or something so be it. my charger gets all my really detailed attention lol. This is gonna be an off-road truck so why spend all the time making it perfect when i know damn well first time i take it out i'll probably get some huge scratch in it lol.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:03 PM
chopperzen
Veteran

What did you prime with? I take it both bumpers were black. You do need to clearcoat them. At least 3 light-medium coats. Otherwise it will get scratched and nicked off. Looks really good though.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM
74charger
Veteran

Originally Posted by chopperzen
What did you prime with? I take it both bumpers were black. You do need to clearcoat them. At least 3 light-medium coats. Otherwise it will get scratched and nicked off. Looks really good though.
umm the bumpers were chrome actually lol. and yes i know i realy need to get some clear coat on there. as for primer i just used a general metal rust proof primer on the bumpers and rims and general painting primer for autobody on the rockers .

heres a bit better picture took it today when it was lighter outside
Name:  DSC00135.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  48.5 KB

Old 01-31-2009, 10:18 PM
fourseven
Thumbs up Nice

Looks good. It's funny how some people hate the work truck look and get full chrome, and here you are painting your chrome black! Haha...

Looks even better painting the silver rocker trim, btw.

Quick Reply: painted rims and bumpers