3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '05s don't have MDS. Recommended oil is probably 5w-30. What does the cap say? I use Pennzoil Hi-Mileage.

Last edited by MikeHTally; 02-01-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nickahern1
i run mobil-1 with a purolator pureone filter... i switched to rp for 2 oil changed and didnt like wha ti saw when changing it out at the next oil change. it came out like water, really really thin/ didnt even look like oil. i changed the rp at 3k intervals just see how it compared to mobil-1 (which i now change at 5-7k) maybe its just me but i do not want my oil breaking down that quickly. ive heard thats just how RP is thouch, i have yet to try amsoil but i am tempted on the next change if i can find it around here.
Damn Nicky, that's hard to believe. I actually tried the RP after my buddy up the street with an '06 Hemi (a former member here, btw) who works at NASA, actually had his oil tested, and the results were that the RP held it's viscosity and protection properties better at 6k miles than Mobil 1 did at 3k! I gotta say that on a visual inspection of my oil at change time, I gotta agree...

I have to say though, I like your filter choice. All the tests I've seen show about the best three are Wix, Mobil 1 and Purolator Pure One...

You sure them boys at your local store ain't waterin' down your RP?

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-01-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:46 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
The '05s don't have MDS. Recommended oil is probably 5w-30. What does the cap say? I use Pennzoil Hi-Mileage.
My 05 manaul and cap both said 5W-20.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:48 AM
a4twenty
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... i switched to rp for 2 oil changed and didnt like wha ti saw when changing it out at the next oil change. it came out like water, really really thin/ didnt even look like oil.
i said the same thing the first time i did an oil change and saw the 5w20, both from the engine and the new container. what a difference just from 10w30 to 5w20, let alone a synthetic.

i have yet to try amsoil but i am tempted on the next change if i can find it around here.
had the same problem so i contacted them to find a local source. looked like it was going to have to be shipped and that just seemed like a hassle.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I turned my MDS off and switched to 10w-30...5-20 is **** water. I use penz platinum because it has good add packs (oil guru on another forum sent a virgin sample to blackstone for testing) and a mobil filter...has been a good combo so far. All the oils in this thread are good...you just have to decide if you want to pay more or less for good oil .

Old 02-01-2009, 11:20 AM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i use 5-30 synth.

hammer im sure it didnt break down quicker than mobil, it just had the consistency of water. very very thin ( and it wasnt hot either). i wish i took a vid of the oil change with RP i took the drain plug out and it came out soo fast as if it was watered down. Mobil-1 that i regularly use comes out like OIL haha. I still use RP in my bikes though and wont use anything else. also hammer the Pureone filters are the best bang for the buck, mobil-1 filters are like $10-$12, the purolator pureone is $4-$5. usually cost me $40 for oil/filter to do it myself. now whats everyone using for diff fluid and tranny fluid? im switching to synthetics for all the other fluids on my next oil change. i was going to through in mobil-1 synths in everything......

Old 02-01-2009, 02:13 PM
SuperCar1of1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zed
Best oil for anything is Amsoil.

Royal purple is good, but amsoil is in a different league all together.

I was told by a lubricants engineer several years ago that the above was true.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:33 PM
bolang
Professional

I swear by royal purple.Only oil i use.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Have you guys heard of Castrol Edge? It's new full synthetic and they claim 8x the wear protection over mobil-1 which is a pretty bold statement.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperCar1of1
I was told by a lubricants engineer several years ago that the above was true.
You know, I've seen independent test data where it was picked as the best damn oil, period. Then six months later, I'll read one, by another lab or testing agency where it is the worst! I mean, what the hell? I have also been told by the lead tech at a performance shop in Ga., that he'd never have it in ANY vehicle he owned. I've been told by the owner of a performance shop here in central Fl. that they are the best lubricants made, across the board, bar none.

I would give 'em a try myself, to see with my own eyes, but I don't like the way they sell the product. I want to be able to go into the auto parts store and pick it up when I want to change my fluids...