3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No oil pressure when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:05 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well we will just have to call this a dual purpose thread then. The TWO most common issues of the 4.7 V8.

Antifreeze protects the cooling system against both freezing and boiling over. When used at normal strength (50% antifreeze, 50% water), it can lower the freezing point of the coolant to about -40 degrees F. and raise its boiling temperature to roughly 280 degrees F.
Never use straight antifreeze in a cooling system. Always mix it with at least 50% water. Most antifreeze is 95% ethylene glycol (EG). The only differences between brands of antifreeze are the type and/or quantity of anti-corrosion additives used. Ethylene glycol never wears out but the corrosion inhibitors do. That is a greater concern for those with the Chrsler 4.7 V8, as stated above, some of the lines or cavities for the flow of coolant in the engine block are very close to the cylinder walls. In time, a neglacted anit-freeze can eat through this small space and get into the cylinders. Bye-Bye engine. I am fully aware that most antifreezes on the market today are rated for 100,000 miles, but in the 4.7 especially, I'd recommend changes at 50,000 miles. It's a LOT cheaper to buy anti-freeze twice as often than a new engine!
For the environmentally concerned, propylene glycol (PG) antifreeze is also available at slightly higher cost. PG antifreeze is less toxic than ethylene glycol and while still corrosive, is also much less so.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-03-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:36 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carquest oil? Its not worth it buying ****ty oil, do yourself and your truck a favor and put quality brand oil in it, even if it isnt sythetic, I dont want to turn this into another "WHAT OIL IS BETTER" thread but ive been using castrol 5w30 and i like it. dont be using crap oil.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:52 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by V_Scapes
Carquest oil? Its not worth it buying ****ty oil, do yourself and your truck a favor and put quality brand oil in it, even if it isnt sythetic, I dont want to turn this into another "WHAT OIL IS BETTER" thread but ive been using castrol 5w30 and i like it. dont be using crap oil.

Oil has to meet minimum standards, so even the no name oils have to meet standards. Oils today at the bottom of the barrell have come along way compared to 20years ago. Any oil is fine as long as it's changed regularly for the use intended. Some oils even brand name have sludge attributing characteristics.

I would def pour in a whole bottle of seafoam or even Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase with the oil so it can clean up and do it's job. Get another oil change and see if that helps. Flushing your engine is a better deal than paying a dealer for nothing! Worse case scenerio, you now have a clean engine!

Quick Reply: No oil pressure when cold