3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brighter headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009 | 12:13 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

in an honest opinion, are those silverstars a good headlight upgrade for someone who doesnt want to go crazy with serious headlight upgrades, the stock ones suck for where i live, i just want something alittle brighter.

Old 02-03-2009 | 12:22 PM
1badnyram
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by V_Scapes
in an honest opinion, are those silverstars a good headlight upgrade for someone who doesnt want to go crazy with serious headlight upgrades, the stock ones suck for where i live, i just want something alittle brighter.
Yeah, the Silverstars are much better than stock. I would suggest doing the headlights and foglights though, makes a big difference especially in the fogs.

Old 02-03-2009 | 12:32 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

I definatly want to do the headlights, i never use my fogs unless the weather is real bad. thanks.

Old 02-03-2009 | 12:47 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Originally Posted by V_Scapes
I definatly want to do the headlights, i never use my fogs unless the weather is real bad. thanks.

Maybe that's why. Did you know the foglights are a full 55w? Atleast my '08 has 9006 bulbs in there. Running those all the time is like having 4 headlights on the road. I run that way all the time. It helps out tremendously since theirs one set up and one set down. Covers much more road.

I debated on getting Silverstars, but their reduced life and barely brighter than stock wasn't worth the $80 it would have cost to replace the bulbs. They claim all this extra light output, but when they do the testing, they test the stock bulbs at 80% and their bulbs at 100%? WTF? Yeah that's a fair game. I want to replace my headlights, so HID won't cost much more than the initial cost of the Silverstars.I found Projectors headlights with HID's pre-installed for $320 shipped. Not bad considering how much Silverstars or Luminics actually cost. Forget about PIAA up at the over expensive list!

You could just go cheap and turn your foglights into HID's. They sell projector housings and HID kits for like $200. Just don't be blinding people with HID's in your stock housings. Beats spending almost $100 on bulbs that will burn out and will need to be replaced.

Last edited by dirtydog; 02-03-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2009 | 01:32 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Maybe that's why. Did you know the foglights are a full 55w? Atleast my '08 has 9006 bulbs in there. Running those all the time is like having 4 headlights on the road. I run that way all the time. It helps out tremendously since theirs one set up and one set down. Covers much more road.

I debated on getting Silverstars, but their reduced life and barely brighter than stock wasn't worth the $80 it would have cost to replace the bulbs. They claim all this extra light output, but when they do the testing, they test the stock bulbs at 80% and their bulbs at 100%? WTF? Yeah that's a fair game. I want to replace my headlights, so HID won't cost much more than the initial cost of the Silverstars.I found Projectors headlights with HID's pre-installed for $320 shipped. Not bad considering how much Silverstars or Luminics actually cost. Forget about PIAA up at the over expensive list!

You could just go cheap and turn your foglights into HID's. They sell projector housings and HID kits for like $200. Just don't be blinding people with HID's in your stock housings. Beats spending almost $100 on bulbs that will burn out and will need to be replaced.
I read that too. They're comparing their new bulbs with worn out bulbs that need replacing...they claim worn bulbs only output 80% of what they did new. Dunno how true that is but yea..

Where do you guys have your fogs set at as far as alignment goes. I set mine about a foot below the low beams from 15 feet away on the wall...does that sound right?

Old 02-03-2009 | 01:38 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

I haven't touched them. What ever they were adjusted to while in line. They are aligned nicely. I would have to say they should be 1ft off the ground at 25ft.
I found this http://www.midstatedmc.com/tech/aim.htm

Old 02-03-2009 | 01:53 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

Originally Posted by 1badnyram
I found them online for $18.00 a pair but I see that they are 80/100 watts. Did you have any problems with heat from the higher wattage bulbs?
nope...haven't any problems whatsoever with them at all....use em for both my headlights and foglights as well

Old 02-03-2009 | 01:55 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Then the 80/100 must be light output and not wattage used? If that weren't the case, your wires should be melting. It's not possible for them not to.

Old 02-03-2009 | 04:45 PM
1badnyram
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by hemiyellow
nope...haven't any problems whatsoever with them at all....use em for both my headlights and foglights as well
Thats good to hear. Before I order them I just want to make sure, they are alot brighter than the silverstars, right? At $18.00 for the pair that would be great. Thanks alot for your input

Old 02-03-2009 | 05:31 PM
Lopan

guy just towed his car into the dealer when I was there. Had completely melted his wiring harness $3K fpr the repair and of course not under warranty. I sitck with HID (German) and PIAA for high beams. The cheaper the HIDs the more likely the arc is off center and there will be extreme stray light. Two of my friends put these 69 dollar kits in and were constantly flashed by on coming trafiic. I have never been flashed

Quick Reply: Brighter headlight bulbs