3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Went to dealer and they tried to hose me on new 2009!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:39 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my truck March '08. I traded in a 2000 Silverado Reg Cab Stepside w/76kmi. They gave me $13600 for trade-in off...Full MSRP. They were burying some of the sticker price in the trade to make it my benefit to the banks. They gave me a nice discount above all the rebates. My truck was only worth $8500 on trade-in. They just took another $5k off the sticker as far as I'm concerned. If they give you low buck on the trade, the sticker price better be budging. Otherwise...not in my lifetime.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical games, but I'm surprised with Ford & Toyota reporting ~40% decline in sales.

I'd think these guys would be wanting to move some vehicles off the lots.

We had a similar issue at a Chrysler stealership. They sent out those stupid mailers "You could win this car...". I thought what the heck, I didn't have anything better to do that day, so we took our '05 Chry T&C in to see about trading up to a new one. The '08's had just come out and had the swivel seating, which my wife was pretty interested in.

Anywho, pretty much the same deal. They wanted to lowball us on trade on a perfectly good, well maintained (at that dealership) vehicle, then stick us on the MSRP. I laughed and went home. Besides, the interior on that new body style mini-van looks like crap. Go look at a VW Routan if you want to know how it should have been done! (same platform in case you didn't already know.)

Old 02-04-2009, 03:52 PM
ramhunter9
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stealerships are a joke private party all the way and use your local bank cut out the middle man save yourself thousands.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:38 PM
traker1001
Captain

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
stealerships are a joke private party all the way and use your local bank cut out the middle man save yourself thousands.
Local banks can be a pain to though.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Trade in will be horrible, that is typical. The 32-33K on a 46K truck is a good price (You will not do better).

Mods, you have to sell the truck to someone else who wants them, he is correct. If you look at 90% of the daily "DD" trucks running down the road they are stock, that is what most want.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Zed
Rookie

Just hoping that I can at least not end up upside down on my F250 when I trade it.

I'll be satisfied If I can break even just to be rid of having to fix & re fix the damned track bar....

[rant]Seriously, what moron designs the track bar to have a metric upper bolt and inch lower bolt, and require 400ft lbs of torque?[/rant]
(Yes I was trying to fix it again today)

Last edited by Zed; 02-04-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Zed
Just hoping that I can at least not end up upside down on my F250 when I trade it.

I'll be satisfied If I can break even just to be rid of having to fix & re fix the damned track bar....

[rant]Seriously, what moron designs the track bar to have a metric upper bolt and inch lower bolt, and require 400ft lbs of torque?[/rant]
(Yes I was trying to fix it again today)

Don't feel too bad about the track bar, I was pulling the tranny off my wifes 93 YL Wrangler and found 2 std bolts, 2 metric and 2 torx---WTF!!!
Anything to make it difficult. Needless to say, 6 std bolts went back in.

Wish we still had that jeep---ran great---but the family was too big to fit anymore. Sold it outright and made more than KBB.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:17 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ilovemytruck
I have a 2004 4.7L regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive ram with 65k miles in immaculate condition with alot of upgrades and mods. My favorite is the woodgrain steering wheel. I saw this commercial for employee ++ thing and figured wow I can get a good deal.

I drove my truck to the dealer and was instantly "spotted" by the salesman when I was looking at this 2009 4X4 Laramie all black.

So I said I was interested in trading in my 2004 for this 2009 etc. I said I saw this price plus plus and wanted to see some figures.

The truck I wanted had heated, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, GPS, sunroof, 3.92 gears and a larger gas tank blah blah blah.

MSRP was like 46k.
So we walk into the office a couple minutes later a guy comes in with this paper and says todays your lucky day, and hands the paper to my sales guy. Sales guy says "well give you $3,750 for your truck." I almost had a seizure after he said that. I went how do you figure, he said with all that extra stuff you have we'll have a hard time unloading the truck. Nobody wants a truck like that, well have to give it away. I was like KBB says 5k something w/o all the extra stuff I had put into it. He says "shouldnt believe everything you read." So I was like ok lets move onto the price of the new truck blah blah blah. Tells me I have to have an excellent credit score to get the 0% financing. Pulls my credit and says I dont qualify. I was like what! Offers me 6.2 for 72 months. Im like ok dude ill secure my own financing tells me ill have a hard time in this market blah blah blah. Im like how much for the truck. MSRP was 46 minus other stuff and trade in came to 33k with tax tags etc, so 33k for everything. Im like man I think you guys can do better then that. Says let me talk to my boss. We did the let me talk to my boss thing like 5 times. The boss walks in and tells me that his final price is 32,000 but I have to use Chrysler financial to finance. I got up and said you dudes are the only fuc*ing people I know who dont need a gun to rob people you dudes are as*holes and I leaned over and snatched my credit score off my sales guys desk and left. I looked at the credit score when I got into my truck, it was a 778. How fuc*ing high does your credit have to be fuc*ing really... I dont know if I am 23 hes trying to play me or what but I wanted to run my truck through their show window and run em all over...

Sorry for the rant fellas but I was peeved...
what kind of mods did you have on your truck?

the best thing to do would be try to sell it privately so that way they couldnt rip you off on the trade in and you could focus more on getting the mrsp down

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

I read that people on here were getting 14-15k off MSRP with no trade in.
They had a similar vehicle like mine on their lot selling for 10k but it had less miles, I saw it online before I went and they wanna give me 3750 and mine was nicer w/ alot more mods. I was hoping for 5k but they wouldnt budge.
Then the magic that I dont qualify for the 0% financing because of my credit lol, 778 is pretty high, I dont know how high these things go but I thought that would qualify me.
I am going to see what another dealer is going to offer me because I love the 2009 body style and all the accessories they have.

Mods are: Bilstein shocks front and back, SRT 10 Springs, Infinity system including an amp, capacitor and two 12's, 10% tint all around, Altezza taillights, Angel eye projector headlights, tonneu cover, 20'' Milano rims w/ V rated tires, Leather seating, SRT 10 Instrument cluster, Woodgrain steering wheel. Im glad I didnt put on the slightly used 22'' SRT 10 rims I got on their when I had it appraised lol.

I wasnt looking for anything but maybe 5-600 over KBB for my vehicle thats all. Just maybe 5500-5700.

I built the same truck online @ Dodge.com and with employee ++ blah blah blah Net MSRP $34,687 that didnt include trade in thats net MSRP that isnt even invoice, I think I should get it for cheaper then the 32 they tried to offer me...

Last edited by Ilovemytruck; 02-04-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Zed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
Don't feel too bad about the track bar, I was pulling the tranny off my wifes 93 YL Wrangler and found 2 std bolts, 2 metric and 2 torx---WTF!!!
Anything to make it difficult. Needless to say, 6 std bolts went back in.

Wish we still had that jeep---ran great---but the family was too big to fit anymore. Sold it outright and made more than KBB.
My mom drives a 97 Wrangler 4 banger.
tough little beast, but a gas guzzler for such a tiny engine.

My Brothers 318 Durango actually gets better mpg.

thing that urks me on the track bar on my ford is the torque the bolts require, I don't have the tools to get it torqued that high, and took it to 2 shops that did torque it to that, only to have it not stay torqued.

Last edited by Zed; 02-04-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Went to dealer and they tried to hose me on new 2009!