3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Went to dealer and they tried to hose me on new 2009!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Went to dealer and they tried to hose me on new 2009!

I have a 2004 4.7L regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive ram with 65k miles in immaculate condition with alot of upgrades and mods. My favorite is the woodgrain steering wheel. I saw this commercial for employee ++ thing and figured wow I can get a good deal.

I drove my truck to the dealer and was instantly "spotted" by the salesman when I was looking at this 2009 4X4 Laramie all black.

So I said I was interested in trading in my 2004 for this 2009 etc. I said I saw this price plus plus and wanted to see some figures.

The truck I wanted had heated, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, GPS, sunroof, 3.92 gears and a larger gas tank blah blah blah.

MSRP was like 46k.
So we walk into the office a couple minutes later a guy comes in with this paper and says todays your lucky day, and hands the paper to my sales guy. Sales guy says "well give you $3,750 for your truck." I almost had a seizure after he said that. I went how do you figure, he said with all that extra stuff you have we'll have a hard time unloading the truck. Nobody wants a truck like that, well have to give it away. I was like KBB says 5k something w/o all the extra stuff I had put into it. He says "shouldnt believe everything you read." So I was like ok lets move onto the price of the new truck blah blah blah. Tells me I have to have an excellent credit score to get the 0% financing. Pulls my credit and says I dont qualify. I was like what! Offers me 6.2 for 72 months. Im like ok dude ill secure my own financing tells me ill have a hard time in this market blah blah blah. Im like how much for the truck. MSRP was 46 minus other stuff and trade in came to 33k with tax tags etc, so 33k for everything. Im like man I think you guys can do better then that. Says let me talk to my boss. We did the let me talk to my boss thing like 5 times. The boss walks in and tells me that his final price is 32,000 but I have to use Chrysler financial to finance. I got up and said you dudes are the only fuc*ing people I know who dont need a gun to rob people you dudes are as*holes and I leaned over and snatched my credit score off my sales guys desk and left. I looked at the credit score when I got into my truck, it was a 778. How fuc*ing high does your credit have to be fuc*ing really... I dont know if I am 23 hes trying to play me or what but I wanted to run my truck through their show window and run em all over...

Sorry for the rant fellas but I was peeved...

Old 02-04-2009, 01:25 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

it sucks but you never get back the money spent on mods. Sell your truck private party, you'll at least get a few grand more.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
it sucks but you never get back the money spent on mods. Sell your truck private party, you'll at least get a few grand more.
You almost never get back what you put in for mods. It is a sad fact about almost all cars and trucks.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

that sucks man....i was the same way when i looked into trading my truck, decided to sell it privately...only way to go these days

Old 02-04-2009, 07:18 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't feel bad, I got over $8k in mods in my truck, and when diesel went through the roof they were discounting them down like $10k off the top at local dealers.
KBB at the time showed about $14k avg. trade on my Laramie 4x4. They offered me $8800 total and that's IF I LEFT THE DAMN WINCH ON IT!!! So they give me the line about the mods not being worth anything to them then tell me if I remove the winch, they'll have to give me less!
So I tell them I don't expect to get anything for my mods, but offering me over $5k less than KBB says a bone stock truck is worth is a slap in the face, so they start telling me all the bull about KBB prices being escalated and the economy and all this and that. Needless to say, I still have my Hemi...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-04-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 AM
08Hemisilvercrew

I visited the dealer around a month ago. They offered me $6000 for my 02 Quad cab 4x4 5.9 with 84,000 miles on it. Nice truck,spray in liner ,running boards,20' wheels/tires, interior like new. I went home ,wrote up a nice ad for Craigslist ,and after a few D**ks messed with me on the phone, i sold it to the first person that saw it for $8,000. Then i went back to the dealer and bought my new 08 Quad cab, Hemi, Big Horn for $23,600. SELL IT OUTRIGHT! The book values mean s**t at this time!

Dave..............

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Another thing is that dealers don't use kbb. Dealers always come in a couple thousand lower than what kbb mentions. Another thing is that todays dealers do a legal bait and switch on buyers. If you were asking about a SLT or something, you probably would have got it for around $20k, but as soon as you want an option that is only available on the Laramie, that is when they stick it to you.

Every dealer down here is still selling SLT's and the other sub models real cheap, but look at the Laramie and noone is budging on that model.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Scorpio_08_HEMI
Rookie

Chrysler/Dodge sales were down 55% last month. FLUCK EM ! Our tax dollars given to these companies and financial institutions against my wishes so they can in turn, stick a elephant dick in my *** on the price and deny me credit. Salesmen are swindlers and douchebags. The big 3 and the american public need to wake up.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

that sucks man. i went to the dealer when gas was really high. they offered me 8000 for an 05 with 25k miles. i know they would have turned around and sold it for 16-17k. i laughed and walked out. I'm glad i didnt sell my truck.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:26 AM
dodgeorgethit
Professional

Buy a chevy..lol

Quick Reply: Went to dealer and they tried to hose me on new 2009!