3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

just bought '04 SLT 2500 without working tail lamp!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:18 AM
amlee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought '04 SLT 2500 without working tail lamp!!

i just bought this and noticed to lamp light. replaced the bulb. no go. checked fuse, blown. replaced the fuse, no go. Is the dealer required to fix this to make it legal to drive on the road? or am i screwed? i have to go back up tomorrow to pay them.

thanks

Old 02-07-2009, 01:27 AM
maverick_124
Professional

i would check teh wires all the way from the fuse box. but no the dealer dosent HAVE to fix it. i do all the repairs on my cars/ trucks new or used. cause a dealer can charger upwards of $150 pr/hr and still have nothing

Old 02-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's $2.99 at autozone for a two-pack of bulbs and a five minute job to change em yourself. If you can use a screwdriver, you can change the bulb. IMO it's not worth dealing with the stealership over a bulb.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:50 PM
sos
All Star

It depends on the state. Here in MA, nobody can sell a vehicle that can't pass inspection. Even in a private sale, you can return it and get your money back if you can't get it to pass the state inspection. A tail lamp out would definitely cause a failure.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:03 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Where i live, a vehicle MUST be totally legal, (i thought all states were that way), coming from the dealer they would have to make 100% sure its all good.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:31 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by amlee
i just bought this and noticed to lamp light. replaced the bulb. no go. checked fuse, blown. replaced the fuse, no go. Is the dealer required to fix this to make it legal to drive on the road? or am i screwed? i have to go back up tomorrow to pay them.

thanks
Are all three out? Exactly which light is out? Do you have a test light or multimeter? If it's only one pull the bulb and verify if you are/aren't getting voltage...inspect the harness for any breaks or corrosion. If everything looks ok and there's no voltage follow the wiring and check for an open.

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 02-07-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:35 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Pyro
it's $2.99 at autozone for a two-pack of bulbs and a five minute job to change em yourself. If you can use a screwdriver, you can change the bulb. IMO it's not worth dealing with the stealership over a bulb.
i think he said he already tried changing the bulb and it didnt work

it would make sense that a respectable dealer should sell cars that are road legal except for those shady used car dealers in the bad part of town

Old 02-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here they can't sell you a vehicle that wouldn't pass inspection, and that light being out means it wouldn't pass inspection in PA.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 AM
traker1001
Captain

Did you get a loan to buy the truck, If the dealer doesn't help you, Contact the bank. I have seen Banks get pretty nasty with dealers that tried to sell junk to unsuspecting customers. Stealer has alot to lose if the Bank gets angry at them. Also whether its legal or not to sell vehicles that pass inspection in your state, A call to the AG will usually keep stealers on there tows to. I bet if you raise a little stink the stealer will fix it at there expense, Maybe even compensate you a little for trouble you had to go thru.

But first give the stealer a chance, There are alot of honest stealers out there that will indeed help you out w/o being pushed.

Quick Reply: just bought '04 SLT 2500 without working tail lamp!!