3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

my Hypertech experience...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my Hypertech experience...

Well, I ran 89 octane in my truck. the 91 tune i did not try, since i did not have 91 in the tank. the stock tune had the best mpg, and the 87 tune with 89 octane had the most noticeable performance, but about .6 mpg less consistently. I called hypertech to see if there were any upgrades, since my power programmer III didnt change shift points, didnt even change tire size, etc...the tech rep on the phone said nope, they didnt have anything else for it. What I could do though, was send my programmer and $269 to them, and they would send me the MaxEnergy unit. He said it didnt have any more features, but it was a more compact version,fits in the palm of my hand, and I could plug it into my pc. still wont change shift points, tire size, or anything more than my power programmer III will. just thought I would share with you guys. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of Hypertech questions on here anyways though. I might sell this one sometime soon and opt for the SC or Diablo...gotta do more research on those though as far as options/tunes for the 04 HEMI.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is why there are so few Hypertech threads on this forum, their programmers do not offer us a lot of features. I would sell it and buy one of the other tuners you mentioned.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:38 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My Diablo with 91oct tune and MDS turned off gets me 2mpg better on highway from the tank I just calculated. In town suffers from my foot, but if I'm easy I get better than stock mpgs. Noticeable power improvement as well.
Diablo doesn't have shift firmness just yet and now only costs $375 shipped with update wires and all.

Last edited by dirtydog; 02-09-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i had the hypertech max energy i got a consistant 2-3 more mpg's.on the performance tune. and with the superchip i donnt. mpg's went down on performance setting. though the 3815 does offer more power and more features. might be different for me since i have the 5.9. you all know the 5.9 is a gas sucking pig.lol

Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't send your programmer AND another $269 for another tuner that from the sounds of what you said would do the same thing as far as what your concerned about. That's why I went with Diablo. I can get a New tune if I need to instead of being stuck with what they give you. Only needed for heavy modification.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

thats what i said to their rep..." So basically the new one wont do anything additional to the one I have now?" he said well, no...but you can upload the software to your pc if you needed to. sounded like a waste, no way would I send them $269 plus mine for basically the same thing. Ill just sell it in a few months and buy the Diablo.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Redone4x4
thats what i said to their rep..." So basically the new one wont do anything additional to the one I have now?" he said well, no...but you can upload the software to your pc if you needed to. sounded like a waste, no way would I send them $269 plus mine for basically the same thing. Ill just sell it in a few months and buy the Diablo.
So they wanted you to spend an additional $269 on top of what you already paid? WOW

Old 02-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

yes. They said they would "credit" me for the power programmer III, and the difference would be $269 to get the maxpack or whatever the newer one is. basically it is smaller and doesnt have any more functions. The guy on the phone even sounded like he knew it wasn't a good deal...lol.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Redone4x4
yes. They said they would "credit" me for the power programmer III, and the difference would be $269 to get the maxpack or whatever the newer one is. basically it is smaller and doesnt have any more functions. The guy on the phone even sounded like he knew it wasn't a good deal...lol.
Hell, you give me $269 and I'll send you the extra Superchips 3815 I have sitting here and you can keep your Hypertech

Quick Reply: my Hypertech experience...