3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

More HID Problems!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Kamel87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More HID Problems!!!!

i have a '03 ram and i bought a hid kit off ebay but had a brain fart and forgot my truck has a dual beam bulb so i installed the kit. it works fine flickers a little while the bulb is gettin up to temp but other that that it works. couple problems a) i dont have a high beam so can some of you guys with kits installed tell me how much you paid i might send these back and buy a new kit. the seller told me i could buy a kit to add to my setup but i understood only every other word he was saying so if someone knows what i could add to make it work that would be cool. b) i watch my battery gauge while i drive and when the lights are if i am accelerating the needle starts to move towards the H when i let off and stop the needle moves and stops dead center. c) the lights out indicator is on so i read some of you had different solutions but im not sure what to do.

thanks for all your guys help in advance

Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 PM
bulldoghemiram04

I have a 04 with 10k single beam headlights and fog lights, love them, to make up for not having high beams i installed a set of hella 500 behind the grill. I installed a set of dual 10K on my buddies 03 and had to install a digital wiring harness for flicker reduction, and he's been having problems with his intermittently turning on and off, still haven't found a solution. If you do decide to upgrade to dual beams make sure you get the good ones, there are some that just have a halogen bulb mounted on the HID to act as the high beam(they suck), make sure you get the ones that have a solenoid that pulls back a shudder to reveal more light.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Kamel87
Professional

well here is my main problem my engine used to idle at 700rpm. after i installed the lights when i turn my engine on it runs fine after i turn the lights on the rpm drops to about 500 and sounds like it wants to shut off. i took it for a ride around the neighborhood and i made a turn and it shut off

Old 02-10-2009, 09:35 AM
bulldoghemiram04

Have your battery and alternator checked, sounds like you have a major power drop some where. I know on my truck if i run my hids and my sub, my voltage drops below the half-way mark on the gauge, but i also have a new alternator.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamel87
well here is my main problem my engine used to idle at 700rpm. after i installed the lights when i turn my engine on it runs fine after i turn the lights on the rpm drops to about 500 and sounds like it wants to shut off. i took it for a ride around the neighborhood and i made a turn and it shut off

Should not be from the HID's unless you have something wrong. HID's use less power than halogen bulbs. They are only 35w(most kits) I think maybe you have a "coincidental" problem.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Should not be from the HID's unless you have something wrong. HID's use less power than halogen bulbs. They are only 35w(most kits) I think maybe you have a "coincidental" problem.
+1 on that.
I have a dual 6000K hi/lo kit and fogs, from Tim at HID Sloutions that work 100% all the time on my 03.
These are a brilliant upgrade and well worth it.
Al.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 PM
bulldoghemiram04

no i agree that they do not pull any more volts than halogen bulbs, its the amperage that you have to be careful of!, everytime you turn your lights on it take a lot of power to turn on the ballast, and if you have four ballasts that's a crap load of power to pull form the battery at one time, causing the alternator to work in over time. maybe you should check that out sometime.

Last edited by bulldoghemiram04; 02-10-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
seawind3000
Professional

I have 6 ballast running my HIDs with no drop of the alternator. Tim can hook you up with HIDs & service, something you don't usually get from ebay.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:26 PM
donjohnk
Veteran

no problem here.... I have single beam and thats all i need, mine are 8000k hyper whites. They're off brands, I think neogen, I only paid $170 for the 2 kits... My single beam is equal or brighter than most high beams... I get reminded every night i drive my truck... But I think the fogs have something to do with it too..

Old 02-10-2009, 05:32 PM
xenongate
Banned

HID kits does not extract more power than stock halogen bulbs. Both halogen and HID requires 12V to start up. HID consumes 35w and halogen 55w.
Currently, we have a starter promo.
All single beam and Reg. Hi/Lo $75
All Bi-Xenon $130.
Shipping included for USA 50 States.

FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY, OFFER ENDS 02/13/2009. Buy headlights HID kit, write a review and get the foglights HID kit at 50% off.

To get started:
1) Provide me your Paypal account and I'll send you an invoice.
2) Year/Make/Model or just provide me the desire bulb size.
3) Qty
4) Color temperature required (for Bi-Xenon we only have 6K and 8K)

Quick Reply: More HID Problems!!!!