3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP!!Code P0440

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If the reset lasts that long, odds are you got a "tiny" leak somewhere. Will probably be a booger to find. Here's hoping it's the cap...

Old 02-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to check the hoses up in the engine compartment--to and from the evap solenoid---mine is located on the drivers side just behind the radiator support down low.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 PM
ray97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it has been 6 days and it is not the cap. The code is back same as before. Is there an easy way to check the hoses for a leak. I looked at them and don't see anything obvious.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:02 PM
deehan

I got an '03 1500 SLT Quad 5.7L Hemi. Continually get a P0441 (Evap emission control system incorrect purge flow) and/or P0440 (evap emission control system malfunction. From vehicle history, also had a P0446 (Emission control system vent control circuit malfunction) but have not seen this one pop back up.

I took it to the dealer b/c of P0441. They ran some diagnostics and replaced the NVLD the first go around. 3 days later, engine light came back on for same code, P0441. Took it back to the dealer, they ran some more tests and replaced the purge solenoid. 4 days later, engine light came back on for same code again! Don't know what the deal is. I am going to check the hoses for any cracks or leaks myself. I assume the mechanics already checked, but can't be too positive. I've also read in other threads that the fault may be due to pumping in extra fuel PAST the "full" click when refueling.
Any suggestions or other ideas on what may be wrong or why i keep pulling a P0441?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ray97
OK. Changed the gas cap(17 bucks) and reset the code. Will see if it comes back or not, normally takes about a week for it to show up, if it does I guess it will be off to the dealer with it.... I know my limitations....Thanks for the help so far!!
Do you get your gas at one place? I got the same code from using wal mart gas switched to valero hadnt had a problem prolly not your fix but just a little help

Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Guys, 0440 is hardly ever the gas cap. Not that it can't be. It isn't bad gas either. More than likely, as Gone Fishin suggested, it is the hoses going to the evap solenoid (some call it the canister). These hoses almost never have hose clamps, and will end up splitting on the ends where they connect to the solenoid causing leaks. It is an easy fix, unless they aren't long enough. Trim them past the splits. Reattach.

I suggest clamps for them as this will prevent future splitting. Also, if the hoses are too short to trim and reattach, you'll have to get connectors and additional hoses. I suggest clamping them at the connectors too.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Yeah i got the code right when i bought my truck and i noticed it didnt have the cheap clamps around the ends of the hoses so i took them off looked and zip tied them back up havent got the code since, But oddly enough it would only come on when i bought the cheap gas. but all in all it wasnt the gas it was the clamps.

Quick Reply: HELP!!Code P0440