3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 AM
cutch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge

Hi there. I have a 2005 Ram 1500 laramie with 5.7 HEMI engine. It sat for a while ( about 9 or 10 months ) and after that, when I started it, the check guages light came on and the oil pressure guage always stays at 0. there is oil in the engine, and is sounds fine when I start it. Just wondering where I should start looking ? where does the other end of the guage wire connect. BTW, I am not overly mechanically inclined. Thanks in advance, Paul

Last edited by cutch; 08-23-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 08-23-2012, 11:54 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site.

You can download a free copy of the Service Manual from the links in my sig.

Even though you have oil in the engine, that does NOT mean the pump is pumping it or that it isnt blocked somewhere so DO NOT run that engine until you verify pressure

With that being said, go to Autozone.com and enter your yr/mk/mo and do a search for the oil pressure sensor. Look at the pic of it Then go out to the truck and look right above the oil filter and you will see it there. Make sure the connector is on it. If it is, then go buy a new sensor and replace it. If your oil pressure gauge now works, youre done. If it does not, then you have bigger issue starting with the oil pump and possible bigger depending on how long you run the engine with no oil pressure

Quick Reply: oil pressure gauge