3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odd loss of braking performance...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by osufans
Keeping it neutral here, it is my observation that I would have to agree with the driving style being the cause of the problem described.

There's an intersection that has exactly what you're describing, and it is due to all the heavy truck traffic that goes through there. I've experienced the problem you describe, and will agree that it would seem a suspension or braking upgrade would be in order. However, you said your shocks are upgraded, and your brakes are new.

There could be a problem with the brakes. I have seen where new rotors and pads, when not burnished properly glaze over the pads and your braking is greatly affected.

However, it sounds more like your driving habits. As noted above, you are aware of this scenario, yet don't change your driving style for the situation you are in. That sounds to me like something you have control over, and could remedy immediately. Ease back a little, and don't ride granny's a$$. It's your fault for not leaving "assured clear distance" when you ram up into the back of her car.

Just because you have driving experience doesn't mean you drive "experienced."

Her and I were both traveling at 35mph. This is not the speed limit, the limit is actually 40 but I go slower then the posted because of the problems with the brakes. There was approximatly 2.5 truck lengths ahead of me. She slammed on her brakes causing me to do the same; I then had to swerve into the shoulder lane from hitting her. Firstly, 2.5 truck lengths should be more then enough room to stop at 35mph. (This is why I say design flaw) I only have this problem when hitting these bumps. She slammed on her brakes for no reason, there was 10-15 car lengths before the next car ahead of her that she decided to stop 2 car lengths behind. I was always taught hood lines up with 6'' below their bottom aspect of their tires, this gives me 6-7' maybe of space when stopping behind another car at a light or stop sign etc just in case someone rear ends me...
I only drive spirited on the interstate and do it in the left hand lane...

Old 02-10-2009, 02:48 PM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya on the "spirited" driving. I'm guilty of it myself. I tend to drive a little more conservative in my truck just because of the weight, and I know it takes longer to stop.

The recommended distance is not a fixed length, rather a timed length. I believe it is something like 2 secs behind, that way you are varying your distance based on your speed. Try clocking a stationary object against your distance behind the vehicle in front of you. When the tail of the car in front of you passes the object, start counting at 0, 1, 2. You shouldn't reach the object before you reach 2. If you do, you're technically too close. I don't always follow this rule, especially on the freeway when there really isn't a reason to stop. However, in intersections and busy roads, I almost always leave room for unexpected circumstances.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I here ya, I dont drive fast on regular commuting roads and such, usually do 5 under because I dont want any problems. I usually only do the timing thing when on the highways or going over 50. Who woulda thought some bumps made by big rigs would kill braking capacity...

OSU the new pads I metioned are ceramic, you think that may play a role in it. I was always under the impression ceramic brakes better and cools quicker etc. The rear wheel brakes are semi-metallic, you think I should switch em out with new ceramic pads and new rotors??

Old 02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always heard ceramics don't overheat like metallics, so they are better against brake fade, but I'm not sure which one's stop better. I just read an article recently that would make me inclined to say metallics stop better. PM was talking about brake squeak and types of brakes. It suggested that sports cars would run metallics due to the better stop ability they have.

But back to the point, if you don't notice the issue anywhere else, I don't think its a brake hardware problem. You're probably right on when you say either a suspension upgrade, or just adjust your driving style.

Quick Reply: Odd loss of braking performance...