3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odd loss of braking performance...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odd loss of braking performance...

To start off, I have this problem with the truck being able to brake under a certain condition. I have slightly used tires, upgraded bilstein shocks and srt 10 springs; The tires only have a couple thousand miles on them. Usually my truck will brake like a sports car and will stop at the drop of a dime.

Has anyone ever seen those wavy roads, like they have several dips within a couple feet span. Think waves in an ocean but alot closer together. Someone once told me its the big rigs that cause this wavy road condition.
Any how, It seems my truck takes 80% longer to stop when I hit patches like this. I mean today I hit a 7-8 wave bump patch and I had to go into the shoulder lane from almost KABLAMING this bitc* who didnt know how to drive and slammed on her brakes while staying 2.2 car lengths behind the car in front of her. I dont know if she has a depth perception problem or the IM TOO OLD AND SHOULDNT BE DRIVING!!!! Sorry for the rant but I would have like to hit her just to get her off the fuc*ing road, old blind bitc*. So does anyone know why I cant stop on these wavy bumps, its like my brakes just wont stop the truck, I dont understand it. This occurs at all speeds not just slow or fast but both, braking is compromised at any speeds. I try to avoid these waves at all costs but its hard due to Quakertowns *****y roads that have them all over.
I have like 65kmi if that. Front pads and rotors have been replaced and are only 15k miles old. Rear pads and rotors are the ones that came with the truck. I asked the dealer and they measured and said plenty of pad left and everything checks out ok.

Any ideas will help...

Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 AM
nh5
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the pedal feel soft at all? Maybe a bad master cylinder?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

only when I hit the bumps, it almost feels like the abs kicks in for a split second but other then that I have normal pedal response...

Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by Ilovemytruck
only when I hit the bumps, it almost feels like the abs kicks in for a split second but other then that I have normal pedal response...
That's exactly it right there.
Your ABS might well be "kicking in" in those conditions, but it's so fast you won't be able to here or feel it except in a reduced braking performance.
What happens is as you take these "wavy patches" in the road, your truck gets lighter on the crests and heavier in the dips.
This will and does as you have found out compromise braking, as the tyres will tend to lock and unlock as the weight of the truck is transfered on/off them.
Your ABS is working as it should by sensing this weight effect and stopping the wheels from locling up.
If you had a standard equiped truck, the brakes would just lock on and be effectively useless.
At least with your ABS working, you have the maximum braking effect applied without the wheels locking so in theory, you should stop in a shorter distance.
I must admit though.............sometimes it sure doesn't feel like it ha ha ha.
Just keep plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front if you can, to allow for this.
Drive to the road conditions my friend and remember, speed is the killer no matter how fast your going so link it directly to the road conditions.
Hope this helps and I haven't been on my soap box too much ha ha ha?

Al.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

Originally Posted by abarmby
That's exactly it right there.
Your ABS might well be "kicking in" in those conditions, but it's so fast you won't be able to here or feel it except in a reduced braking performance.
What happens is as you take these "wavy patches" in the road, your truck gets lighter on the crests and heavier in the dips.
This will and does as you have found out compromise braking, as the tyres will tend to lock and unlock as the weight of the truck is transfered on/off them.
Your ABS is working as it should by sensing this weight effect and stopping the wheels from locling up.
If you had a standard equiped truck, the brakes would just lock on and be effectively useless.
At least with your ABS working, you have the maximum braking effect applied without the wheels locking so in theory, you should stop in a shorter distance.
I must admit though.............sometimes it sure doesn't feel like it ha ha ha.
Just keep plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front if you can, to allow for this.
Drive to the road conditions my friend and remember, speed is the killer no matter how fast your going so link it directly to the road conditions.
Hope this helps and I haven't been on my soap box too much ha ha ha?

Al.

So, theres no suspension or upgraded braking package that would help ease this? Maybe larger calipers, rotors and pads???

Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 PM
abarmby
Champion

So, theres no suspension or upgraded braking package that would help ease this? Maybe larger calipers, rotors and pads???
If your truck uses the crappy stock shocks, then I would upgrade to using Bilsteins or some other high performance shock.
This should keep your wheels in contact with the ground and improve this somewhat.
Upgrading your barkes will not keep the wheels in contact with the ground to be able to use this extra braking power you want.
Al.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Maybe you should upgrade your driving style! If you know these area's on the road are crappy and you're still having swerve of the road to avoid people in front of you, then you're following too closely, and since you know about the condition you have no excuse. There's no "Magic" bolt on that will fix poor driving habits.

Last edited by Hoss356; 02-10-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hoss356
Maybe you should upgrade your driving style! If you know these area's on the road are crappy and you're still having swerve of the road to avoid people in front of you, then you're following too closely, and since you know about the condition you have no excuse. There's no "Magic" bolt on that will fix poor driving habits.
Oh hoss, you are such the standard for wonderful driving...
A persons normal driving habits have nothing to do with being correlated to poor road conditions. Poor road conditions = more accidents per year then people who don't know how to drive. I track my bike and have driven on the autobahn and have extensive more driving experience then you I am sure, yet its people like you who go on the attack with no information or knowledge behind the plethora of BullShi* they spew...
Secondly, fixing a problem in a design flaw is the best way to avoid any problems that may later arise from having to do emergency maneuvers because people have visual deficiencies and shouldn't be driving, aka depth perception or just being old and their reflexes are not up to par etc. Yet, only in this country of the USA do we have some of the most lax driving standards in the world. You need to watch who you attack because I didn't pose any verbal insults to yourself. My experience speaks for itself and trying to fix this problem is more then I can say for your deficient self... Hop off

Last edited by Ilovemytruck; 02-10-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:05 PM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeping it neutral here, it is my observation that I would have to agree with the driving style being the cause of the problem described.

There's an intersection that has exactly what you're describing, and it is due to all the heavy truck traffic that goes through there. I've experienced the problem you describe, and will agree that it would seem a suspension or braking upgrade would be in order. However, you said your shocks are upgraded, and your brakes are new.

There could be a problem with the brakes. I have seen where new rotors and pads, when not burnished properly glaze over the pads and your braking is greatly affected.

However, it sounds more like your driving habits. As noted above, you are aware of this scenario, yet don't change your driving style for the situation you are in. That sounds to me like something you have control over, and could remedy immediately. Ease back a little, and don't ride granny's a$$. It's your fault for not leaving "assured clear distance" when you ram up into the back of her car.

Just because you have driving experience doesn't mean you drive "experienced."

Old 02-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Hoss356
Captain

I'm sorry I was able to get under you're thin skin with just two lines of text on here, you are obviously a great driver since you've driven on "ZE AUTOBAHN" so it can't possibly be fixed by adjusting you're habits... Ok, bro, I'm not the one swerving of the road to avoid people! You may have more driving experience then I, and I'll admit I was out to sea a lot over the last eight years but, you seem more emotional than a 16yo girl at the mall! You drivers skill and overconfidence are what going to get you into trouble, the difference between you and I, other then I'm better looking, is that I am a decent driver but I'm humble, I know I'm not the greatest driver ever on the road. But if blaming every near miss you ever had on other people works for you, cause everyone knows how boringly predictable every road condition and traffic are, then by all means don't take my advice it's no hair off my n--z.

But I do know if you are trying to improve braking over rough roads and whoops then a fully adjustable off road shock is what you need and then start experimenting with the preload and rebound adjustments! But you allready know that due to your "Extensive" driving experience...

Quick Reply: Odd loss of braking performance...