3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can I use 0w-20 Amsoil in my Hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:36 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^Nope...you should use 30 weight though. You living in AZ will be good with 10-30...that's what I put in when I turned MDS off.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:12 AM
SuperCar1of1
Rookie

Originally Posted by dirtydog
You do realize that diff weight oils DO NOT MIX???? You should not even mix diff brand oils or different kinds of oils. They may not mix properly.
Different weight oils act like oil/water in your engine. They will remain indifferent to each other the entire time they are in there together. How is this good?
All I know is that a tech/engineer said it was fine.

the MC has a high consentration of an anti-wear component that is no longer allowed in reg motor oil.

The engine in my other truck was torn down at 136,000mi and was *******ly like new inside with
no apparent wear that we could tell. I only changed the oil about 5 times total and never had to add any.

I had a copy of a test of most sythetic oils and there wasn't a great amount of difference between the top five or so synthetic oils. I can only attest that it worked for me.

PS: AMSOIL has different grades of their synthetics and I use their highest grade.

Last edited by SuperCar1of1; 02-17-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Much as I ever hate to, I gotta side with the old 'dog on this one. Long as I can remember, they always told you never to mix oil viscosity in an engine. I've even read it fairly recently on the Mobil 1 website, so I'd be hesitant to say that maybe a synthetic is different.
It obviously hasn't done you any harm, but for anyone else, I'd recommend staying with a single viscosity oil, and a single brand and type, as detergent/additive packages don't always get along either.

As for you guys upping your oil to the next thicker 5w/30 when disabling MDS, I would still have my doubts about that, remember the '05 still recommends 5w/20 and does not have MDS. First choice in my '04 is 5w/30 but the '04 & '05 is identical. I'm currently running 5w/20 RP in my '04 but mainly because I'm running with a lower temp thermostat and my engine is not getting nearly as hot as it would otherwise.
I don't think the 5w/30 would really hurt you guys, but must be another reason they want the 5w/20 in there besides MDS or they would not have spec'd it for the '05s...

Old 02-17-2009, 09:34 AM
SuperCar1of1
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Much as I ever hate to, I gotta side with the old 'dog on this one. Long as I can remember, they always told you never to mix oil viscosity in an engine. I've even read it fairly recently on the Mobil 1 website, so I'd be hesitant to say that maybe a synthetic is different.
It obviously hasn't done you any harm, but for anyone else, I'd recommend staying with a single viscosity oil, and a single brand and type, as detergent/additive packages don't always get along either.

As for you guys upping your oil to the next thicker 5w/30 when disabling MDS, I would still have my doubts about that, remember the '05 still recommends 5w/20 and does not have MDS. First choice in my '04 is 5w/30 but the '04 & '05 is identical. I'm currently running 5w/20 RP in my '04 but mainly because I'm running with a lower temp thermostat and my engine is not getting nearly as hot as it would otherwise.
I don't think the 5w/30 would really hurt you guys, but must be another reason they want the 5w/20 in there besides MDS or they would not have spec'd it for the '05s...

Just got off the phone with a factory lube tech on the question of mixing viscosities.

Official answer: Not Recommended

Off the record"you didn't hear this from me" Answer:

"It's fine, but is indeed Overkill, Won't hurt a thing but my wallet."

$o, no more mixing oil for me!!!!!!

Thanks Hammer , I would not have made that call without you!!!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

Chrysler has had some problems with sludge on the 2.7 and possibly other motors. By going to other than 5w20 are you possibly asking for sludge problems or blocked oil passages?

Old 02-19-2009, 04:53 PM
06CountryBoy5.7
Professional

why not mobil 1 or royal purple? sure I hear amsoil is better but it is better by the tiniest measurable quality.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM
SuperCar1of1
Rookie

Originally Posted by 06CountryBoy5.7
why not mobil 1 or royal purple? sure I hear amsoil is better but it is better by the tiniest measurable quality.

You should be good to go with any quality FULL SYNTHETIC oil.

If you dig a little, you will find that one of the most remarkable differences between sythetic and petroleum
oil is that it *******ly eliminates sludge.

Quick Reply: Can I use 0w-20 Amsoil in my Hemi?