3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

adjusted the torsion bars on my 03 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adjusted the torsion bars on my 03 Ram

I had a shop raise the torsion bars on my works 03 Ram. The guy that did it is an automotive tech and has been doing suspensions for a long time. I took it out and drove it and sometimes when I hit a good bump, as the suspension goes back down it really hammers, like the suspension topped out? It hits really hard. Anyone else really have this going on when they turned up their torsion bars?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:30 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason it's riding like this is because the suspension IS topped out. The stock shocks don't extend the length they need to when you level your truck. You will want to look into replacing the shocks up front with extended ones, unless you don't mind.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Get shocks that are 2" longer than stock up front and that will fix it, and seems to me the tech whose been doing suspensions for a long time, woulda mentioned that to ya'...

Old 02-14-2009, 10:53 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

ya i had the same issue but due to never driving the ram i didnt change them yet but drove the other day and it bugged me so ordered some new shocks.
you only need to replace 2 but why would you go all 4 and get it done DONT take it to a shop this is a easy job just like the t-bar crank you could save some money doing it yourself. not even mentioning feeling like a man workin on your own rig lol jk

Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 AM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Is that all it takes to cure the front end when cranked is longer shocks!?!? F%CK ME! I thought you couldnt do any thing for it. Longer shocks, here I come! How long total is 2" longer? I dont know the length of the stock shocks.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:15 AM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
you only need to replace 2 but why would you go all 4 and get it done DONT take it to a shop this is a easy job just like the t-bar crank you could save some money doing it yourself. not even mentioning feeling like a man workin on your own rig lol jk

He said this is a work truck. So he isnt paying for it. Unless he owns the company.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:17 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
ya i had the same issue but due to never driving the ram i didnt change them yet but drove the other day and it bugged me so ordered some new shocks.
Yea, and he set the toe-in when he cranked them up so I don't wear the tires out. New shocks it is.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:03 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

got pics of before and after?

Quick Reply: adjusted the torsion bars on my 03 Ram