3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tapping into factory Infinity for Sub

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
butch1581
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping into factory Infinity for Sub

If I were to tap into speakers to feed my amp for a sub, would I be better tapping into the 6x9's in front or the 6.5's in the rear. My factory head unit obviously does not have pre-outs, and my amp does have high level inputs. Just wondering where I am better off tapping into thanks again guys. I can't wait to get this thing sounding a little better...

Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Tonyo88
Professional

I used the rear speakers for mine, not sure if it would really make any difference. Then again, I didn't just tap straight into them, I used an adapter (can't remember what it's called.) One end splices into the wires, and the other end has the RCA outputs. It also has a gain adjustment built it. Neat little gadget, just barely fit in behind the factory head unit.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If the adapter is adjustable and your amp has a sub filter, then use the rear.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:24 PM
butch1581
Captain

I know what you are talking about:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4...4.html?tp=1276

I did not use this becase my amp has High level inputs. Probably better off going to the rear though, just in case the fronts are crossed over at a higher frequency....

Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Ben D.
Champion

use the built in high lvl inputs... or get a good line out converter.. anythign made by scoshce is absolute ****.

i'm thinking it'd probably be better to snag the fronts because the front 6x9's are the main mids-lowrange drivers.. at least if chrysler was smart about it they'd make the biggest speakers better for lows.. you have to be smart about this with infinity because the speakers are set up for different bands of frequencies. standard audio just sends full range to each of all four speakers.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:52 AM
butch1581
Captain

I know this system is stupud from the factory......Does anyone know if the rear speakers get full sound. I would assume that the front 6x9's are low/mid like you said so mabey that would be better, Not sure. There has to be somebody on here who has done this huh? thanks

Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by butch1581
I know this system is stupud from the factory......Does anyone know if the rear speakers get full sound. I would assume that the front 6x9's are low/mid like you said so mabey that would be better, Not sure. There has to be somebody on here who has done this huh? thanks
Doesn't matter which speaker you tie into. Your sub amp will have filters anyways. My recommendation is to install the unit BEFORE the amps. You can take the stereo out and put the unit right back in there. There's planty of room. Installing the line out converter after your amps will diminish power to the speakers that you tapped into since half of that power will try to reach your sub amp. I would pick out the rear speakers just for fading ability.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Ben D.
Champion

good point by dog.. just tap in before the amp and you don't have to deal with any crossover points.. each wire will be full range sound it all gets split up by the amp.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:55 PM
butch1581
Captain

Why didn't I think of that. That makes the most sense. I will probably tapp into the fronts though, because I like to fade to the front when my Dog is in the back otherwise I feel bad blasting it in her ears! so Then I can fade to the front all the way and still have the sub work! Thanks again guys, Can't wait till my sub comes!

Quick Reply: Tapping into factory Infinity for Sub