3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Damage... HELP?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:56 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
Yes, put something on it now.

The dent is probably to big for the paintless dent fix. Simple fill and touch up. Still will run you over $200 easily though at any shop.
By looking at the first pic alone it does look too big...but the second picture gives you a better idea of the size and it's not too big.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:55 PM
BrianD215
Professional

Alright, thanks for everyone's input. You guys have been a big help. I'm going to swing by the autozone or someplace this evening and see what I can get to touch up the paint.

As for the dry ice thing, a guy that works for me just suggested that. He said he used to live in an area that got a lot of hail and he used this technique all the time on cars with dings all over the place.

Man, this forum can come up with a solution to anything it seem.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:14 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

The dry ice thing works best in the summer...the hotter the metal the better.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:47 AM
BrianD215
Professional

Yeah, so I tried the dry ice thing. And knowing it works better when things are nice and warm, I started with a heat gun. I very very slowly warmed up that whole panel until it was just a bit warm to the touch before applying the dry ice. Then I put the dry ice on for a few minutes at a time, and made slight progress but nothing drastic. So I grabbed a 2x4 and propped the block of dry ice up against the dent and left it there for 15 minutes. It still didn't really fix it. I think it looks better, but it ain't fixed.

I am thinking that maybe my dent is a bit too sharp for this technique. If the truck had been dented by a blunt object like a baseball and had a nice round dent it would probably work better. My dent was from the corner of a 12x12 concrete paver. It was ugly.

So now I am working on touching up the paint and making it look as decent as I can. Maybe I will try the dry ice thing on it again once it's nice and hot out this summer.

On the bright side, I bought a 5 lb block of the dry ice, so at least I got to put a bunch of it in a bucket of water and fog up my kitchen. I found it amusing. My dogs did not.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:01 AM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Originally Posted by traker1001
Get a big red or black marker, write ouch on it..
+1 on the marker comment - funny but I actually did this with the perm window chalk with an arrow towards my door and back panel after my car was hit with the semi before it went to the shop, the apartment manager and my neighbors got a kick out of it, I ended up taking it off of my car 3 days before it went to the shop, it got old seeing it everyday in the same place for 3 weeks. But then again, we are talking about Oklahomans now in this!!

But on a more serious note +3 or 4 on the clear coat so it wont rust, esp if this is something you put some work into, you don't want your truck the be screwed up more than it already is if you are seriously not happy with the dent that you have now, it'd be a lot worse off if you left it.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM
BrianD215
Professional

Yeah, I got some primer and paint on it last night. I got the clear coat on it tonight. It looks decent so far. I'll need to polish it up a bit tomorrow. I think it will look okay. If not, I'll get it professionally fixed when I feel like it later. Or maybe, down the line, if I get too many dents and dings, I'll just have the whole damn truck sprayed with Line X. Then I can dare things to dent it. :-)

Quick Reply: Damage... HELP?!?!