3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does this Sound Like a Rack and Pinion Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009 | 11:05 AM
traker1001
Captain

Originally Posted by Yamahauler
I just put a rack in my truck. It's simple to do. I got one from Advanced Auto with a lifetime warranty for under $200. Took two hours to install and that was taking my time. All you have to do is unbolt the rack from the frame (2 bolts), detach the tie rod ends from the spindles, remove the lines from the power steering pump and slide the rack out of the wheel well. Then installing it is just as easy. You then have to bleed the power steering fluid (easy) and get it aligned. I have a buddy who works at Dodge so my alignment was free. In the end, I had two hours installing the rack and less than $200 in the whole job and now I have a life time warranty on it.

A side note, anyone who has a rack done or does one themselves keep the receipts. If Dodge ever does the right thing and recalls this issue we may get some money back...
Wow , Really that easy? I am starting to like this thing more and more.

Old 02-17-2009 | 04:07 PM
osufans
Veteran

Easy is probably relative to the installer...I'm not a mechanic, but can hold my own on "bolt-on" repairs.

I had "heard" changing ball joints was a pain back when I owned my Ford Ranger (IFS TB suspension like the Ram). I changed both upper control arms, and tried to press out the lower BJ's, but didn't have the right receiver so I ended up having a shop to the lowers. But all in all, it wasn't hard or a pain. Had the truck back together in about 1.5 hrs.

I've changed CV shafts, and can do them in under 1 hr. I also replaced both front spindle bearing assemblies on my buddy's Ford Taurus (had a bearing go bad, so we swapped them both.) That took a couple hours, but still wasn't bad.

I would imagine the PS rack wouldn't be too bad either. Just need a decent place to work, and the right tools.

Quick Reply: Does this Sound Like a Rack and Pinion Problem?