3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does this Sound Like a Rack and Pinion Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009 | 06:29 PM
cheapbeater
|
Record Breaker
Default Does this Sound Like a Rack and Pinion Problem?

Well, I went to look at an 03 hemi ram 1500 today, and it was a really nice truck, except he said the rack and pinion was shot. There is obvious leaking around it, nothing major, just enough to coat the r&p and boots. When i drove it, i could feel a dead spot when the wheels were straight, and it was almost like it was catching when i would turn... im not sure how to explain it, the best example i can think of is it feels like one of those arcade racing games where the wheel kind of jerks. It also pulled to the left, and the wheel wiggled when i would just hold it with a couple fingers.
Im not sure what to think, does it sound like a r&p? or something else? could a backyard mechanic put one in on his own? (other than an alignment)
Im hoping i can get a decent deal on this truck since it has this problem...

thanks

Old 02-15-2009 | 06:51 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

sounds like when my p/s hose went and the steering made the ol' grindin noise and it would pull alittle. the rack is mostly likely in need of replacement seeing the age of the truck. have the guy take $500 off the price then bring it straight to a GOOD mechanic and have it done. although if the rack is shot youy might want to have the truck looked at by a good mechanic, how many miles on the truck.

Old 02-15-2009 | 06:56 PM
traker1001
Captain

No the rack cannot be replaced by most backyard mechanics, Special tools and all that, With that said take it to someone who knows what there doing. Also if its a 4wd, I believe it gets more difficult.

Last edited by traker1001; 02-15-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2009 | 08:01 PM
cheapbeater
|
Record Breaker

truck has 76000 miles, and is 4wd. I will see if he will take $500 off, that seems fair. Fixing it myself doesnt seem too promising, so i might have to take it to a mechanic.... IF i buy it. thanks for the info

Old 02-15-2009 | 08:45 PM
hemidel
Professional

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
truck has 76000 miles, and is 4wd. I will see if he will take $500 off, that seems fair. Fixing it myself doesnt seem too promising, so i might have to take it to a mechanic.... IF i buy it. thanks for the info

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 Qcab 4x4 5.7 and I just had the rack and pinion replaced. I have 91,000 miles on the truck. I started to notice that the boots were soaked, so i took it in for something else, and they found that. Luckily it was covered under the extended warranty, But, the part, inst, wheel align. came out to a little over $600. Good luck!!!

Old 02-15-2009 | 09:02 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris

I just had to redo my rack and pinion, and you could do it in your backyard provided you had jackstands or a lift and know what you're doing. If you own a socket set and a torque wrench, you are good to go, but it ain't an easy job. To get the the rack and pinion on a Ram, you basically have to tear down the front suspension. Get yourself a remanufactured rack and pinion from advanced auto parts, and take it to a mechanic. Should cost you around $600 total for parts, labor, and alignment.

Old 02-17-2009 | 07:22 AM
Yamahauler

I just put a rack in my truck. It's simple to do. I got one from Advanced Auto with a lifetime warranty for under $200. Took two hours to install and that was taking my time. All you have to do is unbolt the rack from the frame (2 bolts), detach the tie rod ends from the spindles, remove the lines from the power steering pump and slide the rack out of the wheel well. Then installing it is just as easy. You then have to bleed the power steering fluid (easy) and get it aligned. I have a buddy who works at Dodge so my alignment was free. In the end, I had two hours installing the rack and less than $200 in the whole job and now I have a life time warranty on it.

A side note, anyone who has a rack done or does one themselves keep the receipts. If Dodge ever does the right thing and recalls this issue we may get some money back...

Old 02-17-2009 | 08:36 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

good idea about the recall, i highly doubt it but ive kept all of my reciepts.

Old 02-17-2009 | 08:49 AM
popps68
Rookie

i know what you mean on the recall deal,IF. i had my front end redone with only 36700 on her and i have been very vigilant about maintenance, they said it wasn't covered under warranty, cost me 900 bucks which considering the parts they replaced, most of that was labor, but anyway all i got out of it was a 12month 12,000 miles warranty. i have a problem when the quality and craftmanship is not there, especially when we are having to pay the prices for these #&* trucks. Dodge wonders why they are in the trouble they are in? I filed a complaint with corporate HQ but all they did was listen to me gripe and then tell me they were sorry, not even so mauch as a couple coupons for free oil service.

Old 02-17-2009 | 08:55 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by popps68
i know what you mean on the recall deal,IF. i had my front end redone with only 36700 on her and i have been very vigilant about maintenance, they said it wasn't covered under warranty, cost me 900 bucks which considering the parts they replaced, most of that was labor, but anyway all i got out of it was a 12month 12,000 miles warranty. i have a problem when the quality and craftmanship is not there, especially when we are having to pay the prices for these #&* trucks. Dodge wonders why they are in the trouble they are in? I filed a complaint with corporate HQ but all they did was listen to me gripe and then tell me they were sorry, not even so mauch as a couple coupons for free oil service.
are you kidding, do you really expect to get anything out of any auto company now? they dont give a ****. my mom wanted me to do the same thing with the problem i had this week with my dealership but its just not worth it. its the dealers loss cause i was planning on buying future trucks there. nothing you can do...but its ok, chrysler is getting a cool $3bill. today to keep themselves afloat.

Quick Reply: Does this Sound Like a Rack and Pinion Problem?