3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alignment Issues with 20"s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Issues with 20"s?

Hey guys,

I bought my truck about a month ago. Ever since I bought it it always pulled to the left a bit. It's a pretty bumpy ride as well. When I hit 60 mph it shakes a lot. The tech at the place I bought it said he road force balanced the tires and the alignment was fine but it's normal that the 20"s are a rougher ride. Is it normal that it pulls to the left a bit and shakes alot at 60 mph? Does anyone else experience these problems? I have BRAND NEW Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, 20s will give you a rougher ride depending on tire size. the less sidewall you have, the less cushioning you get, and the rougher the ride will be. shaking at 60+ and pulling left dont sound legit though. could be some sort of front end problem you are looking at.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:12 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
yes, 20s will give you a rougher ride depending on tire size. the less sidewall you have, the less cushioning you get, and the rougher the ride will be. shaking at 60+ and pulling left dont sound legit though. could be some sort of front end problem you are looking at.
+1
when i got mine aligned guy kept saying "it's really hard to get rims this big aligned right"...what? what do the rims have to do with it?

after the 3rd try, they got it right.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you run a carfax history on the truck when you bought it? If the guy said it's been aligned and it's not, then maybe he needs to get his equipment re calibrated!

Larger wheels/tires can cause harsher ride simply because they are heavier when they are thrown up into the wheel well. Lower profile rubber is an attributing factor as well.

Regardless of tire size, your truck shouldn't pull. You may have a slight weighting issue that will cause slight vibration, but this is with larger off roading tires that aren't for highway use. Certainly any rim diameter that is being manufactured on vehicles these days will have zero trouble balancing out.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The part about 20's riding rough is legit, but the rest of it sounds like you might have a problem. Pulling to the left is not normal with 20's or any other rims.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah thats a crock of ****....i've never had a problem gettin my 20" aligned....hell, even got the 22" aligned pretty good....i'd deffinitly get the front end checked out tho...might have a tie rod, ball joint or somethin goin out on ya

Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Originally Posted by hemiyellow
yeah thats a crock of ****....i've never had a problem gettin my 20" aligned....hell, even got the 22" aligned pretty good....i'd deffinitly get the front end checked out tho...might have a tie rod, ball joint or somethin goin out on ya
Could any of those things affect gas mileage? I know if I don't get it fixed then eventually it could lead to some major problems. Good thing I have a warranty though so I can get anything fixed.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

ive had continous problems with my alignment and i have 20's also. i just bought my truck to the dealer for the same problems your complaining about, so i ended up replacing my right rack and p/s pump as well as all 4 tires. i dont really feel like paying form the new rubber but im more then happy to get rid of the wranglers, i think they are the biggest culprit.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

as far as I've ever heard, pulling has to be alignment (if front end parts are bad, they should show up there) , or shocks , unless the tires are worn funny. you could try putting the front tires on the back and vise vera to prove tires or alignment. shaking at a certain speed has to be tire balance.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:09 AM
JohnnysArt
All Star

Sounds like there's something else wrong then just the stock 20's. I have aftermarket 20's and mine never pulls to the left.

johnny.

Quick Reply: Alignment Issues with 20"s?