3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whining noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Max00racer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise?

I've been hearing a whining noise on my hemi. At first it sounded like my tranny but now when I get my ear close it sounds more like it's coming from under the hood. Sounds like a little supercharger. I got close to 70k on it (it's an 03), I'm away at school and don't have the tools to listen in exactly where it's comic from and don't feel like paying some retard to tell me what it is. Im thinking its the alernator because my battery seems to be suffring (dimming lights ETC). Anybody have an alternator go bad? What's it sound like?

Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
metamorphosis

Could be the alternator. They certainly sound like that when they are on the way out.
Pop the hood and listen. If you can hear something, but cant work it out. Stop the engine and take the auxilary belt off. Start it up again and see if its stopped. If it has then stop the engine again, and when its quiet, spin all the loose pulleys. You will know which one it is if its there.
If you dont find it, by removing the belt, then its probably cam related. Chain etc.
Either that or leave the mrs at home. lol

Last edited by metamorphosis; 02-18-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Probably the alternator, the bearings are more than likely going. Take a long handled screw driver (if you have one) put the tip on the side of the alternator while its running and put your ear up to the handle. It acts like a stethoscope and should help you figure out if it is the alternator or not as it should isolate the noise coming off it. If its not that it may be a bad or worn belt. Those would be my first two places to check.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:18 PM
vinman966
Professional

[QUOTE=Take a long handled screw driver (if you have one)[/QUOTE]

A broom handle or some other long wooden stick works well too.

Just out of curiosity...what's the temperature been when this is happening?
Mine makes a whining sound when it's cold out (20's or lower). Seems to change pitch as the tranny shifts.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Max00racer
Veteran

it's been cold here, usually thirty or lower. Some warm days in the upper thirties and lower forties. It does change pitch with rpm drops in shifting. It still whines at any throttled rpm, even a little at idle. What about the power steering pump? I've already been through two..

Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

could also be a exhaust leak from the headder. buddie had that on his ram kinda sounded like a turbo spooling up. or tha alt eaiher one check them bolth

Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 PM
vinman966
Professional

Originally Posted by Max00racer
it's been cold here, usually thirty or lower. Some warm days in the upper thirties and lower forties. It does change pitch with rpm drops in shifting. It still whines at any throttled rpm, even a little at idle. What about the power steering pump? I've already been through two..
I was thinking mine was coming from the transmission. Thought maybe it needed "winter fluid" or something like that. It's done it ever since I got it 3 years ago.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:05 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

most likely the alternator, i had mine replaced in september. does it sound like your rubbing 2 symbols together in a circular motion? mine was really loud.

Quick Reply: Whining noise?