3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Delay in throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:59 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Delay in throttle

I've never owned anything but manual trannys before. Obviously, the HEMI only comes with a 5-spd auto. These automatic trannys, because they're controlled by a computer, have a slight delay from when you push the pedal until the time the tires start turning (sometimes as long as a full second). Is there any way to adjust this delay or get rid of it entirely to get it more like a manual tranny (with zero delay).

The reason I ask is, Truck U (tv show) was showing off the Superchips Cortex for the 07 ram 1500 hemi. They mentioned that it could eliminate that delay. Is this legit? I have the Superchips Flashpaq 3815 now.

And dont you dare tell me to check the FAQ...

Old 02-20-2009, 02:24 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

look up top at the FAQ lol......umm ya know, I can't really notice a difference at all between my 04 HEMI without the superchips and my 05 with the superchips.....maybe try lookin on the superchips web site and see if they say anything about it in an update thats available for the flashpaq maybe

Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the world of throttle-by-wire! There is no setting for cutting down the delay, but the SC is a canned tune. Also, to my knowledge there is no difference in the tune between the Cortex and the Flashpaq...

Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they call it Torque management, and it's a band-aid that keeps the hemi from dumping on the transmission.

Superchips has said that tweaking and/or eliminating torque management will be a FP 3815 option in the future, but has made no promises. This was the reason I bought the 3815, so you and I are waiting for the same thing.

Do know, however, that if you do eliminate TM and pound the trans all thetime, it will crap out prematurely.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Mystro
Captain

Its torque management. Throttle by wire has nothing to do with it.
All my German cars have throttle by wire and the pedal is instantaneous.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:06 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mystro
Its torque management. Throttle by wire has nothing to do with it.
All my German cars have throttle by wire and the pedal is instantaneous.
Well technically it's both. The throttle delay is built into the PCM under torque managment. If it was NOT a throttle by wire system, and it was throttle cabled, you COULD NOT build this delay into the PCM tuning...

Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

ok you two play nice or i'm gonna have to put you in time out...

I dont hardly ever drive the truck hard, and when I do its very short lived (dont want any speeding tickets!). My problem is, leaving from a stop, when I step on the gas very lightly, there is a slight delay in the throttle response. During this delay my brain says "you're not moving, push it harder", then I end up taking off harder than I'd like to. I'd like it to just be instantaneous...

Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Oh, believe me, that was nice. Technically they are correct, Torque Management limits many performance capabilities in our trucks. But my point was the delay is allowed to be programmed in because it's throttle-by-wire. To say that has nothing to do with it is an asinine statement. I think he took me to mean that because it's TBW it just has a delay, which was not what I was saying.

Superchips claims they are currently ditching about 85% of TM. The only current way to completely ditch it would be with a custom tune...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-20-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:59 AM
abarmby
Champion

That, or by having an 03 where you snip/pull out a wire in the TCM and yee haaa!!!!!!!!!..................no TM.
Al.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this could be a stupid question but...

is this the same as when your in the middle lane on the highway and you wanna pass someone in front of you so you step on it and the rpms just bog down and you arent moving like you want to, so you hit the gas harder and the rpms finally surge? or is that the second prime gear that everyone complains about????

Quick Reply: Delay in throttle