3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

**03 Ram 2500 REAR END VIBRATION HELP**

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quikhemi
i checked in the glove box it says: anti-slip 4:10 gear ratio
i dont know the diffrence, but the more i think about it the more im thinking it started happening after i had it serviced, never happend before it! so should i change it or add the additive? whats the best gear oil to use? thanks jc

If they added the friction modifier to your LSD--which according to your sticker--you do have, it needs to be drained and refilled. Neither the front or the rear diffs on the 2500's with or without a Limited Slip Differential package use the additive (friction modifier). Make sure its properly filled(3/4" below fill hole).

The friction modifier is used in the 9.25" lc (light corporate) diff's with LSD to help the clutches slip during turns so they don't chatter.

Hope this helps

Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Quikhemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i asked them at the place and they assured me its the right stuff, but i want to change it anyway myself! what is the best rear diff fluid to use? Also the rear deffinatly chatters when i turn! I also remember that the guy i bought the truck from only used amsoil products on the truck, this time they used valvoline products and im sure its the cheap stuff, but i am almost positive that this started almost right after the oil was changed! let me know! thanks

Old 02-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

I use amsoil in my 2500, it has going on 97,000 miles and has never chattered. Stay with a synthetic for best results. Mobil 1 is good, Royal Purple is good---you get the idea

Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
LSD's on the 2500's don't use the additive. Find out what type gear oil they used--the diff comes from the factory with synthetic in it. It sounds like you're getting clutch chatter in the diff---may be the gear oil they used---if they put the friction modifier in there---drain it and fill with synthetic---no modifier.
According to my shop manual, ALL Trac-Lok diffs require the additive.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Lifted4x4Astro
Professional

I have the FSM for the 2003's and it states in there that the friction modifier is not required on the 10.5" and 11.5" limited slips (with the Mopar fluid). I know for a fact I replaced my diff fluid with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 (factory spec gear lube viscosity) and I got chatter. I then added a tube of friction modifier from Autozone and the chatter was gone within 100 miles.

My recommendation to Quikhemi is to just add the modifier and if you feel so inclined you could replace the diff fluid as well.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Quikhemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifted4x4Astro
I have the FSM for the 2003's and it states in there that the friction modifier is not required on the 10.5" and 11.5" limited slips (with the Mopar fluid). I know for a fact I replaced my diff fluid with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 (factory spec gear lube viscosity) and I got chatter. I then added a tube of friction modifier from Autozone and the chatter was gone within 100 miles.

My recommendation to Quikhemi is to just add the modifier and if you feel so inclined you could replace the diff fluid as well.
THANKS i think im going with the modifier just because it makes sence why its chattering if i had the fluid changed and they deffinatly didnt add anything to it!

Quick Reply: **03 Ram 2500 REAR END VIBRATION HELP**