3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got a DS Predator

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:56 AM
Stellar_D
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

true but theres always the risk. thats why they void warranty's if they figure out you used a programmer, at least thats been my experience.

i was worried at first but now i'm at ease. I don't plan to do custom tunes, as I'm not interested in shaving of a quarter second at the track. just a little more poke and a little more fun is what i'm going for.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stellar_D
???????? Ok I think I'm missing something here. I've searched these forums quite a bit and a while ago it seemed like more people like the DS and had nothing bad to say about it. Now I'm hearing that it'll cook my tranny?? Did something happen? And by that I mean did it happen to more than a couple people?
You are missing that there are several threads on different forums where guys have had blown trannies from using the DSP. One guy says that he took it for one ride around the block after programming his truck with the Predator and it fried his trans, hence the one trip around the block thing. I believe that the list of guys it has happened to is around 10 so far, but they are not all as bad as one trip and it fried the trans. But there seems to be a growing number of people who are having trans problems after loading the DSP on their trucks.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Stellar_D
Rookie

great. this is with the factory tunes i assume. maybe i should try to sell this thing. i was under the impression that this thing couldn't do much damage compared to a diesel tuner.

thanks for the bad news :P

Old 02-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Stellar_D
great. this is with the factory tunes i assume. maybe i should try to sell this thing. i was under the impression that this thing couldn't do much damage compared to a diesel tuner.

thanks for the bad news :P
The ones that I have read about have been guys running both the canned tunes as well as guys who have modified the canned tunes.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:43 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

the guy around the block thing had a 426 stroker running on the 93 tune... Plus his truck was an 03 which diablo doesn't touch tranny wise. Like I said...holes.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think it needs some time to shake out, and yeah, I don't give any credibility to the 426 guy, but too many others who are not heavily modded are coming out.
Like anything else, don't panic and let it shake out. May be only a certain tune, maybe a certain PCM. May take a couple weeks and a couple more fried trannies to track down the cause, but I'd bet we'll find a common denominator, since NOT everybody is having their tranny go with a Diablo tuner...

Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 PM
oneluv912

I got my predator but i'm not 100% impressed with it yet. I still need to play with it a little more but I did post in another tread looking for people who are satisified with theirs before I sell mine and get a SC. It's not set in stone yet but i've heard some problems with it. It seems like a few months ago everyone was all about the DS but now it's just the opposite and their all about SC. I guess we'll see.

Last edited by oneluv912; 02-22-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by oneluv912
I got my predator but i'm not 100% impressed with it yet. I still need to play with it a little more but I did post in another tread looking for people who are satisified with theirs before I sell mine and get a SC. It's not set in stone yet but i've heard some problems with it. It seems like a few months ago everyone was all about the DS but now it's just the opposite and their all about SC. I guess we'll see.
A handfull of fried trannies will do that. But seriously, I would just hold off on making any decisions until they figure out what the problem is with the DSP. I am sure with the number people having problems Diablo will get on fixing the issue.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:21 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by oneluv912
You should sell it then....if you can find a used 3815 you should have some money left over between the two. And that way you can post back with which one you like better hardware and tune wise...since you will have owned both.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You talking about the Bully Dog or Diablo frying trannies?

Quick Reply: Got a DS Predator