3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got a DS Predator

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:44 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're talking about diablo

Old 02-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
You talking about the Bully Dog or Diablo frying trannies?
Diablo.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Diablo only has rpm adjustability, not firmness. Most guys are stretching the shift patterns all the way to redline in each gear. Prob why they are having fried trannies.

My truck shifts perfect. Better than factory with that MDS turned off.

Also, don't confuse the guys that get burnt trannies due to 2nd prime!
Lots of guys are trying everything possible with the user adjustability feature of Diablo and have no idea what they are doing! You cannot blame Diablo for their tune if someone alters it.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Diablo only has rpm adjustability, not firmness. Most guys are stretching the shift patterns all the way to redline in each gear. Prob why they are having fried trannies.

My truck shifts perfect. Better than factory with that MDS turned off.

Also, don't confuse the guys that get burnt trannies due to 2nd prime!
Lots of guys are trying everything possible with the user adjustability feature of Diablo and have no idea what they are doing! You cannot blame Diablo for their tune if someone alters it.
And we may find out that is entirely the case. You give an idiot too much control and he'll find a way to screw it up. Leastwise I'm hoping that's the case, I was all set to have a custom tune done on one for my cam.
But when the big time programmer performance shops aren't touching the Diablo anymore and questioning the fried trannies, it's enough to make me hold off getting one, for now anyway...

Old 02-22-2009, 03:42 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno about you but mine shifts firmer than stock...especially at WOT. I'd actually prefer the part thottle shifts to be stockish but I dunno if they can seperate part throttle from WOT shift firmness yet.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:53 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine shifts a little quicker, but not firm and still has the TM backing off power at each shift (part and full throttle) I don't see how an extra 20 rwhp will fry a tranny unless it was already about gone anyway. I run the 93 octane setting with the MDS on and it gets the best mileage this way. No signs of detonation and the tranny acts fine.
Altering the canned tunes without the proper equipment such as a Wide band O2 sensor and a dyno is just asking for trouble.
I ran one for several years on my 01 F150 and will run this one on my 08 Ram as long as I own it.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by lxman1
Altering the canned tunes without the proper equipment such as a Wide band O2 sensor and a dyno is just asking for trouble.
Never have I read a more true statement. If people don't know what they are doing they should not be messing with some of these parameters. It is a recipe for disaster.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:37 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup ^^^^^ I just load the tune I want and call it a day

Old 02-22-2009, 06:14 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Works for me

I seem to remember on the Ford Predator, when you add to the fuel table, you were actually leaning the mixture. This could be a common mistake made when people think they are adding fuel, they were removing it and burning up pistons!!
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember it being reversed for some strange reason.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by lxman1
I seem to remember on the Ford Predator, when you add to the fuel table, you were actually leaning the mixture. This could be a common mistake made when people think they are adding fuel, they were removing it and burning up pistons!!
Stuff like that is exactly why people shouldn't mess with settings unless they know what they are doing.

Quick Reply: Got a DS Predator