3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Violent Shaking and wheel torque specs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
TANKZ400
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alignment will not cause your truck to shake like that it might cause it to pull but deff not shake.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Corect torque in book is 135 lbs. Since my first set or rotors warped I now torque at 100 ft lbs. No issuses at all with vibration from loose wheels. I just check them more frequently and before long trips.
X2 on the tech using the alignment rack. The shop I used to work at had a good alignment tech. Problem was he was never at work. Drinking problem. So the shop owner had his brother in-law filling in. The guy just was not up to the task! Lots of come backs. I also had a tire shop screw up my wheel balance as well. They apparently set the the machine for 16 inch tires when I had 17's.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 AM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Originally Posted by TANKZ400
Alignment will not cause your truck to shake like that it might cause it to pull but deff not shake.
Then I'll just let the dealer find out what's wrong with it. Btw your sig pic.. I think Mickey Thompson Bajas are such a cool looking tire! I saw some a few days ago and they look nice up close! I would get some if my truck was 4x4.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

when my alignment was off, it was so bad that the truck had a hard pull to the left and my wheel was a quarter of the way to the right, so my steering wheel was shaking like crazy, and couple with a tire out of round my ram felt like i was inside one of those paint can mixing machines.

but be careful with the dealer, hopefully you still have warranty. i went through a whole load of sit with my dealer to get my work done, they where tryin to tell me i wasnt covered for the front end work. just make sure they dont try to screw you.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Originally Posted by V_Scapes
when my alignment was off, it was so bad that the truck had a hard pull to the left and my wheel was a quarter of the way to the right, so my steering wheel was shaking like crazy, and couple with a tire out of round my ram felt like i was inside one of those paint can mixing machines.

but be careful with the dealer, hopefully you still have warranty. i went through a whole load of sit with my dealer to get my work done, they where tryin to tell me i wasnt covered for the front end work. just make sure they dont try to screw you.
My warranty is through AA Auto Warranty. It has a list of things that aren't covered (such as maint. items). Everything else is covered. I don't trust Ford, GM, and Chrysler warrantys right now. They were talking about getting rid of warrantys if their situation got worse. I've also heard of Chrysler screwing over a lot of people on legit warranty claims. Doing anything to disqualify them from coverage.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Rockland Ram

my truck had a similar issue a few months ago. The bands in two of my tires broke. It had the stock good-for-a-year wrangles. I replaced them with the bridgestone revos all the shaking was gone. they had 25k mi when they went bad.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM
vviars

My 06 had the shakes too at high speeds. The short story after fighting with Chrysler for over a year. I got new tires (Michelin cross terrains -they've only lasted 23000, I'm about due for new), new wheels, alignment, road force balance on tires. Then right front wheel bearing went out, then rear rotors shot at 34,000 miles. After fixing all this, everything is much much better, every change made it a little better, but I still have one issue. Now the shaking stops when I go straight, but between 70 and 75 mph and when I steer, then it shakes. I am hating this truck!

Quick Reply: Violent Shaking and wheel torque specs?