3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cooper ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooper ride?

So i just got the cooper ltz. I went a little wider with the 305.
My question is, is it normal to loose some ride quality when changing to a tire with a larger tread pattern? I previously had the stocker goodyears.
It just seems that the truck wants to wander a bit and is really bouncy over bumps.Very noticable over stock.
Now i know that the coopers are a 10 ply and E rated. I run 50psi in them, which is what was recommended, They max at like 80psi.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:06 AM
donjohnk
Veteran

If you have the 20's like me they will... Mine are quite stiff.. Dosent bother me though... I might get better shocks than keeping stock ones.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

yes i have 20's but it seems to be quite rough

Old 03-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Hoss356
Captain

The stock goodyear's are lightweight flimsy balloons with a little tread on the outside. I changed out my own and was surprised at how little material those tires had, the BFG AT's of the same size were damn near twice as heavy and a lot stiffer when stting side by side with the goodyear's off the rim. You might try to drop the pressure 5psi or so, as long as you're still getting a good contact patch you should be fine.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Any E rated tire is going to give you a harsh ride, then factor in a halfway decent block tread pattern and it will be even more so.
That's the trade-off when you put real truck tires on a truck...

You think that's bad, put you a set of E rated Boggers or Baja Claws on that sob and take it for a spin. Now THAT'S what a truck is supposed to feel like...

Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

damn, 50 psi? I think mine are between 35 and 40

Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

You think that's bad, put you a set of E rated Boggers or Baja Claws on that sob and take it for a spin. Now THAT'S what a truck is supposed to feel like...[/QUOTE]

man you should hav gotten some nitto mudgrapplers like mine sounds, feels rides like you are on air! lol

Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss356
The stock goodyear's are lightweight flimsy balloons with a little tread on the outside. I changed out my own and was surprised at how little material those tires had, the BFG AT's of the same size were damn near twice as heavy and a lot stiffer when stting side by side with the goodyear's off the rim. You might try to drop the pressure 5psi or so, as long as you're still getting a good contact patch you should be fine.

The LTZ's are a much more rugged tire than the stock "car"tire that comes on the Ram's. They have way more in their sidewall. Ride quality did get a bit harsh and that's the only thing I didn't care about, however, if you noticed....The LTZ's are super quiet!!!
Now, the 305's are wider. Wider tires up front tend to grab and wander a little more. Nothing unusual. It's normal. My mustang wanders a little because i put 275's up front from the stock 245's.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

i just got the zeons as well. let me just say they rock in the snow! but i agree they are much stiffer going over bumps and pot holes but they bite like crazy, hard to break em loose. i have to disagree with dirtydog though, the ltz are louder then the stockers, once you get on the highway they have a noticeable whine to them, but other then that i love em.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:11 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the 305's you now have a half-inch less sidewall for cushioning too. That plus the better sidewalls and you get a rougher ride. I run 38 psi in mine.

I don't mind the noise at all. It's just a little to remind you they're there!

Quick Reply: Cooper ride?