3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I need a sub box!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 11:14 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
|
All Star
Default I need a sub box!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright now, Im at my peak of frustration here. I went Friday to get my "system" installed for my b-day. And for the record, the shop I went to is a VERY reputable shop, owned by a cousin of mine, who also owns several records in the SPL world, been seen on Mythbusters, yada yada.

Ok. I was originally gonna go with the JBL GT5 10's and a 300w amp. That got changed to 12's, and a 600w amp when I got up there. But, the JBL's wouldnt fit in the box, b/c the box tapers down where the sub drops in. So, I went with Memphis Audio instead. Sounded pretty damn good, while sitting idle. I was happy, and hit the road.

Well, this box I have is horrible. The road/wind/exhaust noise drowned the bass out a lot, so I cranked it up, which caused the subs to "bottom out" on the low-notes, due to lack of airspace.

Saturday- I tinker with the settings, get it to sound pretty decent, for about 10 min. Then, no more driverside sub, gone, shot. So, I unhook it, plug the port in the box. The single 12 actually sounded pretty good, but only for another day, then that one went.

Mike says Im the first one to blow that particular sub since he started selling them, great. Im thinking the box is the culprit, it is freaking tiny. Ill post up pics in a bit.

A custom one from him is gonna run me too much. Also, Im not too good with building anything. So, where can I get a well-made, "big" box for a decent price? I know a lotta you folks dont like whats sold on ebay. Anywhere else yall suggest?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-03-2009 | 11:34 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

if silverbullet reads this he can find you one on craigslist (haha just volunteered ya 'bullet). there are some pretty decent ones out there. or, theres a guy on here that sells a nice one on ebay as well.

Old 03-03-2009 | 12:50 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Redone4x4
if silverbullet reads this he can find you one on craigslist (haha just volunteered ya 'bullet). there are some pretty decent ones out there. or, theres a guy on here that sells a nice one on ebay as well.
haha im am the craigslist master on this forum lol so i could probably find you one. im interested in seeing what your box looks like. heres mine and im running 12" jl audio w3. sounds awesome.
Name:  P1270014.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  161.2 KB
if you need more space you can try the seat lifters like 04-4.7 or try what dirtydog did. im sure he will chime in on this.

Old 03-03-2009 | 01:56 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

i build boxes in my spare time take a look in my albums i think i have some pics in their but mines a SC but have built boxes for QC's

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:04 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
|
All Star

Well, my cousin says I was just pushing the speakers too hard too long. I say I need different speakers.... They are 250rms 500max subs, and I have a 600w amp, doesnt add up. Im thinking of dropping down to some good 10in speakers, some Alpine type r's. Im just not used to this problem, not being able to go all out. Ive had a TON of different setups ove the years, from one 12" to three RF DVC 15's, two JL w6 18's w/ a PPI 1800w amp. The list goes on, so yeah, I like my bass. But just never had to deal with these confined spaces before.

Heres a couple pics of the box. I took it out the truck today, threw my old setup that I had in my Jeep back in there (2 power aqoustic 12's, 1800w each, slot ported box ). Just sitting on the seats, all 'rigged up. Works for now, louder then anything Ill ever get from under the seat...... Thanks for taking a peek and any advice ya'll can give.

Name:  015-1.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  60.5 KB
Name:  016-1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  71.5 KB
Name:  017-1.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  92.0 KB
Name:  018-2.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  96.5 KB
Name:  019-1.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  57.1 KB

Last edited by 4.7Ram5.7Rango; 03-03-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2009 | 09:09 PM
06CountryBoy5.7
Professional

your box is fine, they are not the problem. the range on those subs are not built for what you were throwing at them

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:11 PM
ligmott

TO EVERYONE THAT READS..... When it comes to your sound system, Look on EBAY!!!

I just spent about $750.00 and have a complete and serious system with all new components. I can say that it rocks the beach rather hard. Crisp and clean like you would not imagine for the money....

PS: ask you buddy what he thinks about PYLE audio!!! If he says it's junk, bubba I'll tell you right now I was seriously impressed. Since highschool a lot of old friends bought PYLE, I never have till now. Serious BANG for the buck. I primarily listen to country and classic rock. I do enjoy metal though and I can put out some serious waves.

Good Luck Man

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:13 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

yea i dont think it was from pushing them too hard for too long. they could have just been bad speakers. do you know if that box would fit my jl? if it does and you decide to get rid of it im interested in it.

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:22 PM
ligmott

You guys have to realize that alot of 10's and 12's require more airspace... Likely pushing the subs, not necessarily over powered... Just over worked.....

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:38 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
|
All Star

Im thinking they were just being choked. But, that port would help that out, so idk. He said that amp will push 1000w when being maxed out, like I was doing. So, I guess that would pop'em.

Another problem I had with the box was how it didnt hit the low notes. Seemded to bottom out, but that very well may just have been a sign of the speakers being overworked. (duh)

IIRC dirtydog got .90-.95 cuft out of his box, but he used his whole floorpan as the bottom. The other member who's starting to sell his own built boxes is getting .90 out of his, raising the seat. Which I am very willing to do. Im curious as to how much space Im getting with this one. Any guess's?