3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Good Year Wrangler HP's..Worst tire ever?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 AM
blakeroberts88
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
I hated my HP's on my '07 and I hate them now on my '09. I've heard lots of good things about the Cooper Zeons and the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I think they both look good. You can get the Cooper Zeons in the stock size or the Terras in a 305/55/20. I wouldn't go wider than that. I had 305/50/20s on my '05 and I loved the extra width.
My truck is a 2wd. However I like to drive on the beach a lot. Yesterday when I went to the beach the entrance was torn up and my truck just burried the rear tires. It's probably because I have stock wranglers. How do Cooper Zeon LTZs perform in sand?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 AM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Originally Posted by blakeroberts88
My truck is a 2wd. However I like to drive on the beach a lot. Yesterday when I went to the beach the entrance was torn up and my truck just burried the rear tires. It's probably because I have stock wranglers. How do Cooper Zeon LTZs perform in sand?
I dont know much other than the problematic but I'm sure anything performs better than the Wranglers on anything more than dry new even asphalt

if my truck comes with the wranglers when I get her - i will be making a burn out video the day after I get her before I change out her gears!!!

--Cow-Chick--

Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Believe it or else, for sand you want the least aggressive, soccer mom tire you can get your hands on. The more aggressive the tread, the more it digs down into the sand. About 8 years ago I pulled a Cheby Duramax off a sand bar on the Ocmulgee River in Ga. Worst "stuck" in sand I ever saw. I had a hell of a time getting him out! Broke my 20,000# recovery strap on him. Ended up having to borrow a chain off a tractor from a local farm.
Between the massive front end weight of the diesel engine and his aggressive M/T's the sucker got the front buried where you couldn't even see the axle in no time.
The LTZs are definately an A/T tread, and although they look real aggressive compared to stockers, for what I consider an A/T tire, they are probably a little more on the non-aggressive side. I'd say aired down a bit, they'd do well fairly in the sand...

Old 03-08-2009, 11:24 AM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'd say aired down a bit, they'd do well fairly in the sand...
Yeah You are right, when off roading, he takes the Rubicon's tires down to 13 PSI, improves traction 10 fold - except when you don't have a grip on the oh **** handle - then nothing makes a difference - LMAO - you still get tossed... I still aint living down the video taken by me at the time... *blushes & shakes her head*

Old 03-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

When I had my Ranger I used to go out to the beach every weekend. And that's pretty much correct, the balder the tire, the more you float on the sand. I put some BFG MT's on there and man would they dig into the sand - but that was alright b/c I had a light truck with 4wd, so that was what I wanted so I could nail those hill climbs. I also used to take the tires down to 8 psi.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:52 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Believe it or else, for sand you want the least aggressive, soccer mom tire you can get your hands on. The more aggressive the tread, the more it digs down into the sand. About 8 years ago I pulled a Cheby Duramax off a sand bar on the Ocmulgee River in Ga. Worst "stuck" in sand I ever saw. I had a hell of a time getting him out! Broke my 20,000# recovery strap on him. Ended up having to borrow a chain off a tractor from a local farm.
Between the massive front end weight of the diesel engine and his aggressive M/T's the sucker got the front buried where you couldn't even see the axle in no time.
The LTZs are definately an A/T tread, and although they look real aggressive compared to stockers, for what I consider an A/T tire, they are probably a little more on the non-aggressive side. I'd say aired down a bit, they'd do well fairly in the sand...
Sounds good. That'll probably be my next purchase for my truck. However.. If I air my tires down a lot.. That means I have to drive them quite a ways (about 10 miles) to the nearest gas station to air them back up... That could put a strain on the tires, correct?

I brought my friend's jeep cherokee with stock tires on the beach. I was amazed at how well 4x4 helped on the sand. No problems whatsoever. I see bone stock SUVs with 4x4 driving on the sand with no problems.. If something ever happens to this truck, my next purchase will be a 4x4 vehicle.

Last edited by blakeroberts88; 03-08-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:04 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Sounds good. That'll probably be my next purchase for my truck. However.. If I air my tires down a lot.. That means I have to drive them quite a ways (about 10 miles) to the nearest gas station to air them back up... That could put a strain on the tires, correct?

I brought my friend's jeep cherokee with stock tires on the beach. I was amazed at how well 4x4 helped on the sand. No problems whatsoever. I see bone stock SUVs with 4x4 driving on the sand with no problems.. If something ever happens to this truck, my next purchase will be a 4x4 vehicle.
You could put a thing on your truck - I think its called a decompressor - its like a air tank that can attach to your truck - one of the other Krawlers has one in his front Bumper - its built into it. We used it to air back up his Rubicon before we left - the rec park is in the middle of no where - so it was a good thing to have

Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Correct, you don't want to drive on the road with your tires aired down that much. If you don't have an electric compressor that you can plug into your cigarette lighter, then just bring an air tank out with you to air them up at least part way. I just had a compressor I brought out, would plug in, and air up before I left. The drop in tire pressure will make a HUGE difference. It's amazing. Your tires will no longer be rock hard and they'll be maleable to adapt to the surface of the sand and they'll cover more surface area.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:37 PM
nh5
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original wrangler hp's just hit 61k here. They are finally almost bald but one of the steel straps broke in my driver side rear the other day. So im getting new coopers. Tuesday. The wranglers suck more in the rain then in the snow and ice. I'm pumped for new tires!!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 02:44 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i only got 22k out of my wranglers. they are the worst tire ever. now i have the coopers zeons and love them.

Quick Reply: Good Year Wrangler HP's..Worst tire ever?