3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Powerwagon

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Jeeperabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will probably hold off then. I just need a work truck, i may start working on a farm so it would be nice to have a vehicle that is good off-road and can pull some weight...I.e. a combine head, seed hopper, fuel tank, hay racks etc. The cummins is nice but they are hard to find near me with out tons of miles on em and even though i know thats not bad i want something that is relativly low on miles so i can put the miles on her.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Get you a '04 or '05 Hemi 1500 4x4. I've found the torsion bar fronts of the pre '06s to be a little tougher off road than the coil overs. You can still find them in those years with as little as 30-40k miles on them if you look hard enough, and even in great shape, with that low mileage, can be found in the $10-$12k range. Crank the torsion bars to give you 2"+ of lift, put an aggressive set of tires on and re-gear it to 4.56 gears and the thing would be rated to pull close to 10,000# over the road and much more than that around a farm!
And you'd probably still average 13 mpg in town and 17+ over the road...

Old 03-08-2009, 01:55 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Get you a '04 or '05 Hemi 1500 4x4. I've found the torsion bar fronts of the pre '06s to be a little tougher off road than the coil overs. You can still find them in those years with as little as 30-40k miles on them if you look hard enough, and even in great shape, with that low mileage, can be found in the $10-$12k range. Crank the torsion bars to give you 2"+ of lift, put an aggressive set of tires on and re-gear it to 4.56 gears and the thing would be rated to pull close to 10,000# over the road and much more than that around a farm!
And you'd probably still average 13 mpg in town and 17+ over the road...

2" lift with the stock torsion bars ?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jnellydodge
2" lift with the stock torsion bars ?
Easily, you can probably get like 2 1/2 to 3" but the ride will be so stiff it ain't funny. 2" is the maximum I'd take it up, that's plenty to fit a bigger meat, and perfectly level is about 2 1/4" so it takes that nose down look out too...

Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jeeperabe
I will probably hold off then. I just need a work truck, i may start working on a farm so it would be nice to have a vehicle that is good off-road and can pull some weight...I.e. a combine head, seed hopper, fuel tank, hay racks etc. The cummins is nice but they are hard to find near me with out tons of miles on em and even though i know thats not bad i want something that is relativly low on miles so i can put the miles on her.
good decision

Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Claw
Rookie

In addition to the larger tires, winch (Dodge says it's a 12K pound winch, but the Warn specs indicate it's really a 15K pound winch) and heavy duty Bilstein shocks, the Power Wagon has lockers in BOTH diffs, taller springs, an electronically disconnecting front anti-sway bar, larger axle shafts (the ones used on the 3/4 ton diesels and 1 tons), 4.56 gears, softer springs for more flex (but less cargo/towing ability), special skid plates and the ability to run 35" tires without any suspension mods. The mileage sucks, but the satisfaction of driving the most capable production pickup ever, for me, more than makes up for it. And yes, I do actually take it off road. If you just need a work truck or tow rig, the PW may not be the best fit for your needs, but it is quite different from a regular 2500.

Last edited by Claw; 03-19-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Tractor
Professional

Depends on how far you drive. Ours is my daily driver, but i only drive 32 miles round trip. It also is NOT JUST my daily driver. We pull a 30' Toyhauler camper, put atvs,dirtbike in the bed, use it for hunting,and going anywhere anytime we need to. It is like our Swiss Army Knife. Best mileage is 13 Empty @ 55- thats why I drive a motorcycle in the summer months. It is a freakin AWESOME OFF-ROAD beast. But if you don't need one-I would not buy one. We LOVE ours, but we use it as a truck also. Can't pull a 10,500lb camper w/a jeep or hummer. The places we go- we need the locking diffs and the winch. Nothing worse then getting stuck while pulling the camper.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

i dunno guys, i reset my overhead last week after the whole winter and with a cai, trans service, new tires, and fuel injecotr cleaner all being done before the reset...im back to square one with 12.5mpg. but...stations are prolly still selling winter blend and im still warming the truck up in the morning so whatever.

Quick Reply: 2005 Powerwagon