3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lawn mower battery jump start off the Ram??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 AM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lawn mower battery jump start off the Ram??

Hey I know this isn't a 3 Gen question but doese anyone know if I can jump start a 6 volt lawn mower with my Ram. I don't want to blow up anything especially the truck

Or I have a 12 volt charger. Can I it to charge the 6 volt battery?

Old 03-08-2009, 12:23 AM
R1mark

not really sure but i would say not a great idea. that would be like taking a 120v from your house and tring to jump start your truck. (without a charger)
But hey theres on harm in trying really whats the worst that could happen the battery still junk

Old 03-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by R1mark
not really sure but i would say not a great idea. that would be like taking a 120v from your house and tring to jump start your truck. (without a charger)
But hey theres on harm in trying really whats the worst that could happen the battery still junk
R1, your analogy is very poor, 12 to 6 volt isn't anything like AC to DC current! If you did try jumping a 6 volt off a 12 nothings gonna happen to truck but a 6 volt starter is another thing... that may exceed the starters capability and possibly other circuits on the mower depending on how advanced the circuitry is on that thing. As far as charging goes, some battery chargers can charge both 6 and 12 volt batteries, but the ones I'm familiar with have a switch to go from 6 to 12, I'm not saying that you can't do it, I wouldn't be surprised to see a charger the reads the battery you are charging and applies the correct voltage, but I'd check the manual first. Some of those mowers can get up there in price now days and I wouldn't try to just rig something that may or may not work without knowing before hand.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:55 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Most riding mowers are actually 12V. If it is 12V, yes you can jump it.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Rojhan
Veteran

If it's actually a 6-volt system, you can melt stuff. The system has certain resistance based on the combination of all of the components. Current (amps) draw is voltage divided by resistance. So, if you double the voltage you will double the current draw (roughly, it's not a purely resistive system).

Think of what would happen if you tried hooking up driving lights to the wires that are used to run your dash lights (not as extreme, but the concept is there).

As an additional note, the electrical system of a lawn mower isn't going to have all the nifty filters and other systems to "clean" the power. You could backfeed really noisy power back into your truck and make your electronics very unhappy.

I would think twice about trying to jump start a lawn mower, even if it was a 12 volt system. If you really need to do it, disconnect the ground wire on the truck battery and just use it as a booster battery. The truck battery by itself (without the truck running) would have more than enough power to get the lawn mower going even if the lawn mower battery was dead.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

try calling your local parts store to see if they charge batteries. I know autozone out here does it for free, i would just do that. takes about an hour and then u are safe all the way around.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:10 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using 12V to charge a 6V battery is dangerous. Are you sure it's 6V? I've jumped my JD off the truck a time or two, but it's 12V.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DaHipaKea1313
Hey I know this isn't a 3 Gen question but doese anyone know if I can jump start a 6 volt lawn mower with my Ram. I don't want to blow up anything especially the truck

Or I have a 12 volt charger. Can I it to charge the 6 volt battery?
there is no other car near you that can help you jump start?

Old 03-08-2009, 02:25 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

I would just disconnect the cables from your truck and use just the battery (just to be safe) I had a battery from my old truck sitting in my garage and I charged it and used it to jump start an old snow blower.

But I don't recommend using the charger on a different volt battery.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:14 PM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran

I guess I never looked and just assumed it was a 6 volt It is a 12 volt and I just connected up my charger to it and it's working fine after about 4 hours on it. Thanks for the help.

I just remember my grandfathers being a 6 volt for such a small motor so I just thought mine was the same. Thanks

Quick Reply: Lawn mower battery jump start off the Ram??