3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rountine maintenance question on diffs and tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
gidy34
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rountine maintenance question on diffs and tranny

I am getting ready to change the fluid in my diffs and tranny and transfer case.

I am wondering what diffs I have front and rear because I am going to get the LubeLocker reusable seals.

and.....

I am wondering if anyone knows who makes a reuseable seal for the tranny.

Also any suggestions on proper fluids for the job and how much?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

205mm in the front.
9.25 Corporate LD in the rear.
Not sure on the gasket. Ford uses reusable gaskets, not sure if Dodge does or not.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a tube of RTV is only like $5 and isnt hard to use at all. I actually just did my diff and tranny today. i used RP 75W-90 in the diff, and RP in the tranny. if you have the 5-45RFE tranny, there are two filters on the inside. the regular sump filter, and a spin on for the return from cooler line.

I really wish i had a drain plug in the tranny pan. i made a mess.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The only maintenance I DO NOT do myself is the tranny fluid change, too big a mess. Plus I figure if I pay for that, I usually have them give the truck a good look/see while on the lift. A second set of eyes is never a bad idea to maybe see the start of an issue with a ball joint or something, once in a while.
Although I'm going to install a tranny temp gauge soon and am thinking rather than tap the existing cover, getting something like a Mag Hytec with the drain plug and bung already in it at that time. If so, I'll be doing my own changes again...

Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

at what point should you not touch the diff fluids in a truck. i have 40,800 miles on right now and want to get my diffs and transfer case fluid changed for my birthday in june, but ive heard at a certain amount of miles you shouldnt touch it.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gidy34
I
I am wondering if anyone knows who makes a reuseable seal for the tranny.
Rock auto sells a nice kit for the tranny that includes both filters and the gasket for only around $25. It has everything you need to do the change (other than the fluid).

Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by V_Scapes
at what point should you not touch the diff fluids in a truck. i have 40,800 miles on right now and want to get my diffs and transfer case fluid changed for my birthday in june, but ive heard at a certain amount of miles you shouldnt touch it.
WHAT!? Lubricants break down over time, with friction, heat and just age. I've NEVER heard where there is a point that you don't change it. That's like saying if you don't change your engine oil by say 10k miles, it's good for the life of the vehicle. NOT!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
WHAT!? Lubricants break down over time, with friction, heat and just age. I've NEVER heard where there is a point that you don't change it. That's like saying if you don't change your engine oil by say 10k miles, it's good for the life of the vehicle. NOT!!!
The only thing I can think of is maybe he is talking about how some people say that after a certain mileage they don't recommend doing a complete tranny flush since this post was originally about trannies and diffs.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:29 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

if you go to amsoil's web site, you can get both filters (wix) and a gasket for about $30-35 bucks. I did that and got the oil from them also.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:33 AM
04dodgeman

Hey guy just had this done last week. Had the tranny, transfer case, front and rear diffs serviced. Do this as Dodge is different from Ford and Chevy. Theres is 100,000 ours isn't for good reason. I can't stress this enough. Follow your manual.

Quick Reply: rountine maintenance question on diffs and tranny