3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 PM
red06RAM
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V_Scapes
anyone use the castrol edge yet? i really want to try it but its damn expensive.
Originally Posted by Ilovemytruck
BRO, SHAME ON YOU!!! Castrol is garbage. Well, not garbage, but its not worth the price. Anyways if you wanna try anything from Castrol, go with 0w-30 that says made in Germany. They market as synthetic but sell class III instead for a huge premium while ripping you off.
The only synthetic from Castrol is 0-30 made in Germany which is class 4 or 5. If I am wrong let me know...

Check out this thread. Good info on the new Castrol Edge.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-from-lab.html

Old 03-10-2009, 04:57 PM
a4twenty
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
It also seemed to quiet the "Hemi Tick" a good bit, still there, but not as noticeable.

funny you mention that, the other day i was at the yard talking to the guys, with my truck idling beside us. i couldn't figure out what but something was different, then it hit me, the tick was gone???? when i got closer i could just barely hear it, i think this is the best part abut running the RP.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a4twenty
funny you mention that, the other day i was at the yard talking to the guys, with my truck idling beside us. i couldn't figure out what but something was different, then it hit me, the tick was gone???? when i got closer i could just barely hear it, i think this is the best part abut running the RP.
That right there is one of the reasons I want to try RP. I have heard several guys say it helps with the hemi tick.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:39 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
That right there is one of the reasons I want to try RP. I have heard several guys say it helps with the hemi tick.
YEAH, It did all of the above for me too! Hemi tick,better mpg, idles smoother. I have put RP in everything except my front dif and transfer case. And thats coming very soon. I have to do things as money allows.lol

Last edited by BEAR; 03-10-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

That edge is group III in America and group II if it was in Europe. I dont even have too look but could guess it's cracked, aka hydro synthesized or "hydro cracked". A virgin sample is ok, but unless it's actually used in a vehicle, I wont trust it as far as an American dollar goes in Europe. That's not that far at all. I only use oil that is labeled group 4/5 in America and group III in Europe. For the price you can get a real synthetic, not a fake one.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM
BrianD215
Professional

I put in the Royal Purple and a K&N filter this afternoon. I spilled at least 2 quarts worth of the old oil all over the driveway (and myself). I had to hammer a screwdriver through the old filter to get it off since the jerk who put it on clearly tightened it with every ounce of strength he had. Then I obviously had to pressure wash the driveway. So my quick oil change ended up not so quick.

But it is definitely running nicer. It's not quite as sluggish. I went through a drive through and noticed that it was idling nicer and more quietly. Normally with the flowmaster it's tough to hear over the engine, but not anymore. That is some good stuff.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked out the RP at the store tonight and it is only a couple bucks more a quart than the Mobil 1. So I picked up some oil and a filter and am going to try it out when my next change comes up.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:20 AM
BrianD215
Professional

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
I just checked out the RP at the store tonight and it is only a couple bucks more a quart than the Mobil 1. So I picked up some oil and a filter and am going to try it out when my next change comes up.
Yeah, I think I paid 7 something a quart for it. It was only like 50 cents more than mobil one. However, mobil one came in a 5 quart too, which could have saved me some cash I suppose. But if you're gonna spend cash and do something right, you might as well go all out.

And the more I think about it, the Hemi tick thing does seem different. I was kind of unsure what this tick thing was all about because my engine sounded just great to me. But only now that the supposed tick is absent, do I realize that it was there in the first place.

My truck had a flowmaster 40 when I got it, and then I added a CAI. I guess there was so much other sound going on that the tick never really bothered me. If my truck was quiet, I guess that could have been pretty annoying.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:38 AM
RAMJEN

Good discussion - I use Mobil 1 5w20 and am happy with it....every 3000 but I once took it to 6k.......sorry engine. Anyway - I was at wally world today and noticed they have Mobile 1 5w20 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE (on clearance) for 5.00 a quart vs the 6.27 Mobile 1 5w20. My 2007 1500 Hemi has 27k miles on it. Any thoughts on using the Extended Performance for 1 oil change???? would it hurt...help?

the mobile 1 website says its for 15k miles. I would only use it for 3k probably....at least no more than 6k for sure.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:48 AM
BrianD215
Professional

Originally Posted by RAMJEN
Good discussion - I use Mobil 1 5w20 and am happy with it....every 3000 but I once took it to 6k.......sorry engine. Anyway - I was at wally world today and noticed they have Mobile 1 5w20 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE (on clearance) for 5.00 a quart vs the 6.27 Mobile 1 5w20. My 2007 1500 Hemi has 27k miles on it. Any thoughts on using the Extended Performance for 1 oil change???? would it hurt...help?

the mobile 1 website says its for 15k miles. I would only use it for 3k probably....at least no more than 6k for sure.
It sounds like you found a good deal there. The extended performance is supposedly even nicer than what you have been using. I can't imagine it would be problematic. You'll probably put that in there and never notice a difference. Hell, if you do change it at 3000 or 6000 let us know how it looks compared to the regular Mobil 1. If it looks the same then we'll know the extended performance is a scam.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple