3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:42 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after a few days of having the RP w/Purolater pure one I must say that I am very satisfied with the set up. It is way to early to notice MPG's seeing as how it has only been three days; however, the engine is running noticeably smoother. I started her up this moring, it was 18F after being 62F yesterday, and the 4.7 didn't knock once. With the mobil one it used to knock for a minute or so. So even if I don't see a MPG improvement the smoother running engine is more than enough to keep me buying there stuff in the future.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys gotta stop telling me how great it is. I got the oil sitting in the garage and I have to hold myself back until the next oil change. I'm also trying to keep from swapping my differential and tranny fluids to RP until that is needed as well.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

It really is good stuff and I am getting to the point of where the trans and diff need to be changed too. I was originally looking into Amsoil, but I am really happy with the RP so i think I will look into that route. It is nice to have the engine running this smooth. I haven't noticed a major HP increase, but it does have more power because of how well it is running now.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:51 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea what is your mileage at? I'm only at like 25k and will swap the fluids at 30k mainly b/c I have read so much about smoother shifting, cooler operating temps, better protection, and better mpg with RP.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

man im not sure if this stuff doing any better than conventional oil....but ive changed with this stuff last 5-6 oil changes and havent had a problem....just damn expensive stuff!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:52 AM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Originally Posted by chambers
Yea what is your mileage at? I'm only at like 25k and will swap the fluids at 30k mainly b/c I have read so much about smoother shifting, cooler operating temps, better protection, and better mpg with RP.
My mileage with the old mobil one has been on average between 10-11 mpg's. The 4.7 just doesn't want to get too far above that, but it's a truck and the 4.7 in under powered for a QCSB 4x4 with 33x11.5 AT tires on it. I will come up with a mileage report in a couple of weeks because I want to measure it across a couple of tanks just so I have an accurate reading. And just by the way it made the engine run I would like to run it in the trans and diff as well, but I want to put a DTT in the rear before I do that.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by WeightLifter500
but I want to put a DTT in the rear before I do that.
Personally, I think you'd look silly with a DTT in your rear, not to mention how uncomfortable it would be for you to sit down!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM
a4twenty
Professional

Originally Posted by WeightLifter500
but I want to put a DTT in the rear before I do that.
please correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't running a synthetic gear oil in a DTT void the warranty??

Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by a4twenty
please correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't running a synthetic gear oil in a DTT void the warranty??
I'm correcting you because you're wrong. (you asked)

Putting a synthetic gear oil in a differential with an Auburn Gear LSD voids the warranty. A DTT is frictionless, so it doesn't matter. My Auburn performs flawlessly, but if I had to do it over again, I'd get the DTT.

The only advantage I've seen that the Auburn has over the DTT is that it consistantly locks up faster than the DTT. A must at the track, but not nearly as important elsewhere.
Short of having a highly modified 2wd truck that you are racing, where the Auburn will help your times, I think the DTT is the better choice...

Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ramracing4.7ltr
man im not sure if this stuff doing any better than conventional oil....but ive changed with this stuff last 5-6 oil changes and havent had a problem....just damn expensive stuff!
I agree with ramracing, i havent noticed much. BUT I have only used RP in my truck so thats probably why. I do agree the $hit is expensive. I havent change any other fluids yet but when it is time to I will convert to RP.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple