3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Parking Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Cole's dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Lights

My gf was driving my truck a couple of weeks ago and i noticed the parking lights weren't working. I checked it out and couldn't find anything wrong. I checked the fuses and everything was ok. Then i tried the lights again and they worked. I checked them a few times and they worked fine. Well this evening i went to the store and when i came back i thought about checking them and of course they weren't working. Anyone else ever have this problem? I was thinking maybe the switch but i don't want to change parts and waste money without having a good idea. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:36 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Bad wire connection? Bad ground?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:43 PM
mmstar23
Champion

Originally Posted by SeMiGoD
Bad wire connection? Bad ground?
+1. if theyre coming off and on, sounds like a loose connection somewhere...

Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 PM
sos
All Star

It might even be the contacts of the fuse itself... If you checked the fuse then found they were working, the act of pulling the fuse and placing it back in might have made the contact better. After driving around for a bit, it might have become loose again or corroded enough to lose contact. I would check at the fuses and also at the bulbs.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Running lights don't use a fuse, they use a relay. Pull the relay and check that all the "pins" are solid. I lost my running lights one evening after a day of taking my ATV to some back woods spots, really bounced the truck around good.
When I pulled the relay out, one pin actually stayed behind. Had to pull it out with a set of needle nose. Only thing I figured is the bouncing and vibration might have broken the pin. Regardless, a trip to the auto parts store and a $6 relay later, I had running lights...

Old 03-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Cole's dad

Thanks for the responses. I am going to check the relay and try check the grounds. I don't think the problem has anything to do with the bulbs since none of them are working and i doubt they would all be corroded. I am going to check if my daytime driving lights are working, i never thought about checking them.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM
abarmby
Champion

I bet it's the dreaded Power Distribution module, the fuse box to you and I.
Do a search here on parking light issues.
I posted up my results over a year ago, when mine was doing the same thing.
Turns out, that the grounding deep within the fuse box corrodes and causes a high resistance. This higher resistance stops the FCM front control mudule from activating the park lamp relay.
You can jumper the relay to ground and the lights will come on. You need to wire in a switch into this new ground path, so you can switch your lights on/off, otherwise they will be permanently switched on using this method.
Everyone who has had this problem, has had to eventually buy a new fuse box and it cures it 100% of the time.
Just wait until the problem gets worse and throw a new one in.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Cole's dad

About how much is the power distribution center or fuse box? Can i change it myself? It looks like it wouldn't be too hard to do. Can you and is it worthwhile to buy a used one? Can you give me a more detailed instructions on how to jump the relay for the lights to work? I can't exactly wait until the problem gets worse becuase they are not working at all now. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:15 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Only thing i can offer here is PM Parts/Service for the dist/fuse box. He can cut you a good price. I wouldnt mess with a used 1 as you dont know what you are getting compared to new.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Cole's dad

Well i made an appointment at the dealer to get it checked out next tuesday. I looked up from under the front bumper at the bottom of the fuse box and i noticed that there seems to be some corrosion on some wires going into the bottom of the box. Wish they would have kept the fuses in the cab and out of the elements. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow in my garage. Anyone ever take the fuse box out and cleam the connections then reinstall it? thanks.

Quick Reply: Parking Lights